Savage Action Preference

GRG

I am looking at some input as far as why you choose the Savage actions you choose? I have a model 11 and a model 111 both with standard bolt face. I have done some work to both, truing bolt head and locking lugs, turning firing pins and bushing bolts to reduce slop as well as truing bolt face. New trigger as well as built stocks. My real question would be is there one more desirable than the other.

I like the center feed mag on mine as well as the fact that the mag tucks up and the rifle can be carried at that balancing point while hunting. Mine are top bolt release, 11 is a short action, I'm thinking they are the 90's era. I will Probably do an Origin action some time later this year but most definitely will stay with a savage shank barrel from here on out for builds. The short action and mag will work with most every thing I do but will keep this long action around in case I do build one rifle that needs a little more space. A blind mag would be fine as well.

Let me know your thoughts especially if you feel there is a better Savage action to work with. Primary use is hunting and carrying, Bench shooting for fun and Varminting so switching stocks and barrels is key for these. I shoot a few thousand round a year but that's in all my guns, not a competition shooter. I do all my own work as well.

Thank You.

Glenn

There are only 3 action types with the Savage in regards to getting a barrel for.

Small shank, large shank & the new impulse.
Otherwise it's different finishes/materials, and different lengths.

I've been working with the Axis actions lately.
These are long action only ( the magazine & trigger guard section are different for short action) with top bolt release.

Sounds like you do way more work than you really need to, especially on the bolt head.
Ground, trued lug, nut & bolt heads are readily available & relatively cheap.

Most of my time on the actions is truing the face, lapping lugs & lapping bolt lug raceways.
Along with trigger work.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the one area that I never see talked about is the bolt release style, top or bottom and different magazine feed. I have top release and center feed mags so figure I will stay with those if there is no big difference. Just makes stock work simple and I like them.

STD7mag, I'm assuming you mean bushing the firing pin when you say work not needed as the rest is similar to what you are doing. In my very limited experience with these actions and shot group outliers, this is the one thing that made a big difference. I have looked at just buying PTG bolt heads but first I like to work on them myself to see how they work and how the changes really effect things. The other thing is I keep seeing complaints about PTG and their ordering dependability as well as customer service.

I am curious as to why you are working with the Axis now? Is there something you like about it or is it just because there are a ton of them for fairly cheap?

Thanks again.

A qestion on magazines. I dropped a 22-250 barrel on my Long action 111 that was originally a 270. It needs a mag for a shorter cartridge, is there one available or do I also have to change out bottom metal?