savage action

So most savage long actions are small shanki reckon. So how can you tell?
Savage small vs large shank 1 of 2.jpg

Savage small vs large shank 2 of 2.JPG

Savage small vs large shank 3 of 3.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone know WHY they started making large shank actions? Was it a gimmick? Optics? Was it because there was less barrel to begin with in the barrel nut system? It's not like Remington went up in size when they released the SAUM. I don't know about winchester but I really doubt it. 7 and a half thousandths though, that's about a 1.5 percent increase in thickness around the chamber. Doesn't seem quite worth it.

Oh well, now we have something to talk about and barrel makers get to fret about customers getting it wrong and blaming it on them.

Does anyone know WHY they started making large shank actions? Was it a gimmick? Optics? Was it because there was less barrel to begin with in the barrel nut system? It's not like Remington went up in size when they released the SAUM. I don't know about winchester but I really doubt it. 7 and a half thousandths though, that's about a 1.5 percent increase in thickness around the chamber. Doesn't seem quite worth it.

Oh well, now we have something to talk about and barrel makers get to fret about customers getting it wrong and blaming it on them.
Primarily for safety. >>> https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?16300-Large-Shank-vs-Small-Shank

It's a good read, but it doesn't really answer why the decided it was economical and necessary when the people who invented the WSM were fine staying even smaller. Not that I think it's a bad idea, but why stop at such a small increase? It's literally a 1.77 percent increase in chamber wall thickness. But I'm not a metallurgist. My guess is somebody thought they were going to convert all of the actions to larger diameter and decided to find the cheapest increase in size.

It's a good read, but it doesn't really answer why the decided it was economical and necessary when the people who invented the WSM were fine staying even smaller. Not that I think it's a bad idea, but why stop at such a small increase? It's literally a 1.77 percent increase in chamber wall thickness. But I'm not a metallurgist. My guess is somebody thought they were going to convert all of the actions to larger diameter and decided to find the cheapest increase in size.
Then go directly to the source and ask Savage.