Working on your own

shortshooter

Have always wanted to work on my own projects. Does anyone recommend a location where one can aquire skills to build your own rifle, repair , modification work? I've taken leather and knifemaking classes, and why not try a course in rifle mechanics?

Any recommendations?

Here's a suggestion:

Find a smith that works in the field with which you have interest AND is easy to get along with and willing. Then offer to work for him for nothin'. Start out sweeping floors or whatever.

I haven't tried it w/a rifle maker/smith but it's worked in other fields....

Just one of many way to get at it.........

If your wanting to get into the actual building of a rifle as in putting the barrel to the action and blue printing then the first thing I would sugest is a machienst class at a votech center or trade school , to get the basics of the machines down pat before you start cutting on gun parts.

But Roy is right if their is a smith thats willing for you to hang out with and learn in trade for helping him out then thats a good way.

Their is an old time Benchrest shooter and gun builder about an hour away from her that has set several world records with guns that hes built , I'm gonna try to make my way up their more often to at least hang out and watch. I'm a **** good machinest and consider myself a good builder and I'd put my work up against anybody elses but their always somthing new that can be learned especialy for a benchrest Hall of fame shooter and builder.

Eddybo knows who I'm talking about.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.