different load for same type bullet

stevesmith

i have a pet load for the 338 lapua with a hornady match 250 hpbt..
i have some sierra 250g hpbt would the same load work as well with that bullet or would it require the ladder test again..my best load comes from almost the minimum starting point..starting point is 90g of retumbo i use 91g of retumbo for a great load.
ran out of the hornady's just curious if the same size sierra bullet shouldnt do the same job..any input would be greatly appreciated..

They are virtually the same. There is some validity to projectile to bore surface area, friction differences, and copper hardness. But these are so minor that they are often mask on a chrono ES.

I shot my 338 LM for years and found that tempeture changes of 30 degrees had a much higher effect than same type bullets of the same weight

They are virtually the same. There is some validity to projectile to bore surface area, friction differences, and copper hardness. But these are so minor that they are often mask on a chrono ES.

I shot my 338 LM for years and found that tempeture changes of 30 degrees had a much higher effect than same type bullets of the same weight

i felt in theory it should be that way.. i hadn't never loaded a rifle bullet before. ive loaded tens of thousands of 12 guage shotgun shells shooting skeet..i have a friend who has loaded all his life round up everything i needed to start loading except brass, primers and powder. he had 100 250g hornady hpbt bullets.. well i bought tons of books loaddata annual subscription.etc. found that retumbo powder lapua brass and remington 9 1/2 or federal primers were the best. so i got retumbo and remington. i did a load work up and come up with a killer load of lapua brass trimmed to 2.714 remington primers 91 grains of retumbo under the hornady 250g hpbt bullet that shot .221 at 100 yards in a grouping of 5 then another at .223 back to back.. so i loaded 40 just like that for 100 yards..went to the range and ive never shot nothing this accurate..i was shooting holes in holes.needless to say im out of the hornady bullets but have 500 Sierra 250g smk bullets..they are .005 shorter than the hornady but look mostly the exact same..i just wanted to hear someone that had some experience say this because i really didnt want to ladder test another load especially since im on the light side of the load ..minimum was 90.0 grains of retumbo maximum 98.0 well i went in .5 increments and even at 98.0g no pressure signs at all but had the best accuracy at 91.0g sitting 50/thousands off the lands.. hoping to sit these 50 off with the same results.
your comments are greatly appreciated..thanks for your input
have a wonderful day..

I suggest you try it(one change at a time) & let the results guide you.

Mikecr.
thanks for your advice..
i plan on doin just that.. i loaded up 10 of them to shoot to see if i need to do a ladder test to find the right node for that bullet. im on the low end of the load because im only shooting 100 yards until my load development is complete..i was just curious had anyone else did this and what there result was..kinda like saying am i gonna be surprized by it being the same or o'boy your not gonna like this load with that bullet..none the less any input is so greatly appreciated. i like this forum because there always someone with some info. that i need and dont care to share without being very rude like a few of the forums i have found and want ever visit again for that reason..
hope you have a wonderful day..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.