CBTO with different bullets/same gun

Buckskinner

Does your CBTO sweet spot change much with different bullets for the same gun? Reason I ask is I am going to try switching bullets (110gr AB from 115gr Nosler BT) for deer hunting with my 25-06.
I'm going to start with my current sweet spot, just wondering what to expect and how far I should wonder...

Last edited:
For my 257, I switched from 115 vlds to 115 ballistic tips and the identical velocity yielded the best results for both. Things might for a heavier bullet...the sweet spot might be a little slower or it could be the same. I've experienced both when switching bullets

My best results worked with leaving my die set exactly where I had it for the ballistic tips. I played around with seating depth(vld has a longer coal than ballistic tips) but ended back where it originally was. I never measured the cbto
I backed my powder up half a grain for vlds to obtain identical velocity

I test each different bullet for the distance to touching the lands, then use a comparator to establish my "relative" CBTO for each bullet I want to try. Then try to find the "sweet spot" by seating depth. Sometimes, very similar bullets and/or weights will be close. Others, like a 140 vld and a 140 BT, can be much different because of ogive shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.