Help with pulling bullets/reloading same brass & different primer

cb4128

I'm fairly new to reloading and have enjoyed it thus far, but had a few questions.

1. I am pulling bullets on several loaded rounds that I decided were not up to my accuracy standard - pulling them with an inertia puller.

- after I pull the bullets on the rounds, do I need to run them through my sizing die before I reload them with a different powder charge?
- If I don't have to pull the primers, run them through the sizing die, re-prime, etc - it would save a lot of time, but I want to be safe of course as well

2. If I want to try CCI 250 primers in my 264 win mag load (currently running federal 215m), can I use the same powder charge that worked well with the 215m's? Or do I need to back off?

- wasn't sure if CCI/215m primers are known for one running hotter than the other? or?

Thanks for the help!

Pull a bullet or two and see what kind of neck tension you still have on the brass. If it's still acceptable no need to resize the brass necessarily. If you do infact need to resize the brass remove your decapping pin so you don't remove the primers. I have pulled many bullets and reloaded without resizing.

I've never used an inertia puller. I have the collet style puller from Forster I believe. It's reallyeasy to use. Doesn't make a mess. And with practice it doesn't harm the bullets.

Joe

If you pull a bullet I suggest that you just go ahead and size the case again. Now if you do not want to remove the primer leave the de-priming/sizing ball stem in the die but raise it up enough so that it does not punch the primer out. You will need the sizing ball to get the correct neck diameter. As to changing primers with the same powder load. "ANY TIME YOU CHANGE ANYTHING IN A LOAD BACK OFF ON THE POWDER AND WORK BACK UP." This is basically what you will find in any loading manual and they don't state this to cause you more work. Primers do make a difference and can cause pressure to rise or drop so the safe thing to do is follow the instructions.

Appreciate the feedback guys!

Looks like I'll just resize them and raise the expanding ball enough that it doesn't unseat the primer

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.