Differences in the 2 Barnes Bullets?

nube

I am shooting the TSX out of my 7mm stw at 3400fps with 3/4 inch groups right now but I tried the blue meanies out (The blue coated xlc's) and they fly 3540 fps and group better at 1/2 inch. I have a few questions that I want to find the answeres to.
1. for long range shooting would the tsx be better than the XLC's? It seams like I read they have less drag than the earlier barnes bullets. With the difference in speeds they might even be about the same.
2. Do these bullets both have the same effect on game at these high speeds? I wonder if the tsx is made to open up faster and have a bigger wound channel.
I don't know much about the XLC's but I really like the tsx and wonder if I should switch over.
What do you guys think? I haven't shot the XLC's at long range and just wonder which is going to be the flatest and best bullet for my gun. Does anyone have any thoughts they might want to share to help out.
Thanks
Phil

Hey Nube,

There is some current discussion about this very subject in this same Handloading group right now entitled: XLC or TSX?

The XLC's are more or less being phased out so it may not be an issue much longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.