Bullet differences

luke5678

I was reloading my 300 win mag with 200 accubonds and had to switch boxes midway through. I noticed when I switched boxes I was seating .006 deeper than before due to different batch of bullets. I adjusted dies out and fixed it. I have never had this happen before. Is this normal and will it effect anything?

Often it is simply a new pointing die or a minor design change for the bullet. You may or may not actually need to change your seating depth depending if the lower ogive where the bullet engages the rifling changes position or not. Shoot the rifle to be sure here.
Barnes was at one time very good for doing this; I've seen it on my 140 grain 7mm accubonds also-- the early ones were a lot pointier that newer boxes.

Hornady 75 BTHP bullets that I bought 20 years ago and those I bought recently are not the same. The old bullets have a harder jacket and a broader meplat. The new bullets have a more pointed meplat and the jackets are so soft the bullet seating die leaves a ring near the tip of each bullet.

Check seating depth and adjust accordingly every time you get bullets from a different lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts