Difference between stevens/savage

M_Shock

Savage vs. Stevens

Is the only difference the trigger and stock? Same barrels/action?

Does the aftermarket stocks and such for the Savages work for the Stevens as well?

I noticed that some of the Savage hunter series have hinged floor plates and detachable box mags, and the Stevens only has an internal box mag.

What do you guys prefer your lrh rigs (hinged, internal, or clip)? I've had hinged and internal box and both seemed to work fine, but is there any +/- with any of them?

Thanks,
Matt

goose

If you don't know about it, there is a savage specific site called savageshooters.com, they have extensive info.

From what I know, and I"m no expert, the savage and stevens have the same barrels and actions, and I think all the parts are interchangable. I hear the stocks are cheaper on the stevens, but many people are impressed by how well they shoot, especially for the price. I think another reason they are cheaper is limited choices of calibers, and only offering the most popular. I have a Savage and I think my next rifle will be a stevens, which I plan to eventually modify. My thought is why buy a more expensive rifle if you plan to change the stock, trigger, barrell, etc.

I have a savage with the hinged floorplate. I'm happy with how it works, and I think it's fairly generous for length. I shoot a 7RM and can load longer bullets like the VLD's to touch the lands with no problem. I don't know if the other styles are longer or shorter, but it's something to consider. I would think the box magazine might be shorter, but that's just a guess.

geargrinder

The Stevens is basically the same as a blue pre-accutrigger Savage.

As mentioned before, there are limited caliber choices and no left hand.

All parts will interchange among equal models.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce