Difference between stevens/savage

M_Shock

Savage vs. Stevens

Is the only difference the trigger and stock? Same barrels/action?

Does the aftermarket stocks and such for the Savages work for the Stevens as well?

I noticed that some of the Savage hunter series have hinged floor plates and detachable box mags, and the Stevens only has an internal box mag.

What do you guys prefer your lrh rigs (hinged, internal, or clip)? I've had hinged and internal box and both seemed to work fine, but is there any +/- with any of them?

Thanks,
Matt

If you don't know about it, there is a savage specific site called savageshooters.com, they have extensive info.

From what I know, and I"m no expert, the savage and stevens have the same barrels and actions, and I think all the parts are interchangable. I hear the stocks are cheaper on the stevens, but many people are impressed by how well they shoot, especially for the price. I think another reason they are cheaper is limited choices of calibers, and only offering the most popular. I have a Savage and I think my next rifle will be a stevens, which I plan to eventually modify. My thought is why buy a more expensive rifle if you plan to change the stock, trigger, barrell, etc.

I have a savage with the hinged floorplate. I'm happy with how it works, and I think it's fairly generous for length. I shoot a 7RM and can load longer bullets like the VLD's to touch the lands with no problem. I don't know if the other styles are longer or shorter, but it's something to consider. I would think the box magazine might be shorter, but that's just a guess.

The Stevens is basically the same as a blue pre-accutrigger Savage.

As mentioned before, there are limited caliber choices and no left hand.

All parts will interchange among equal models.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.