Difference between a savage and a tikka barrel

Do you really believe the gun makers are using exotic gun drills ? When they use what is essentially a drill press to chamber ? I am quite willing to believe that for special applications the costly equipment might be justified but I don't see it when making "entry level" barrels that need to cost $50, and are more or less all the same length (mostly under 30").

I used to work for a resistance welding gun maker and the arms of the weld guns were bent from hard drawn chrome copper. We used to have those gun drilled over 6ft in length and the bores on them (while not called out) were smoother than a bunch of barrels one can buy at the LGS.

Do you really believe the gun makers are using exotic gun drills ? When they use what is essentially a drill press to chamber ? I am quite willing to believe that for special applications the costly equipment might be justified but I don't see it when making "entry level" barrels that need to cost $50, and are more or less all the same length (mostly under 30").

I used to work for a resistance welding gun maker and the arms of the weld guns were bent from hard drawn chrome copper. We used to have those gun drilled over 6ft in length and the bores on them (while not called out) were smoother than a bunch of barrels one can buy at the LGS.

many barrel makers are using P&W gun drills. Still a good solid machine if kept up, but not state of the art these days. The gist of my post was to tell you what's out there right now, and how they are doing it these days. Most gun drilling operations do not require a fine micro in the bore, but you can achieve this is you take your time and grind the inserts right. Size wise they can be extremely accurate if done right. But one process I've never been involved with is super deep hole reaming, but can see the process without too much trouble as the reamer simply follows the existing hole.
gary

Just thought I'd share.

First picture is of a brand new unfired Savage 12 LRP.

Second picture is of a brand new unfired Tikka T3 HB Varmint (my t3 lite looks the same btw).

We all know tikka has excellent barrels but ****, for a grand you'd expect better on a savage. No amount of "break in" or dyna bore coat is going to fix that savage. It was returned. The other 12 LRP in stock has the same barrel issues btw and worse crown damage.

savage12lrpcrown1_zps4f68a4b9.jpg

20130702_202100_zps18381e62.jpg
Hey man don't bash them so bad, i have a savage 11 in 243 and i do 5" at 400 yards off sandbags, with factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.