Difference Between Button/Cut Rifling?

Bounty Hunter,
All button barrel makers I know contour after the barrel is rifled , because you need the same diameter steel so you have the same amount of resistance down the bore as the button is being pulled to maintain consistent bore and groove diameters from breech to muzzle. I have produced both Button barrels and cut rifled barrels so I know both processes very well.

Load,
I want to know how you think the bore is going to maintain it's harness after you heat treat the barrel after buttoning to remove any stress induced into the steel during the process? Plus after you are done heat treating it for stress after buttoning it also gets heat treated after contouring to remove stress induced during the contouring stage. Then you will be removing any of the surface hardness from the steel during final lapping.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Hart told me that they rifle the barrel, then turn and flute if needed then lap to specs.

FWIW, I am not sure of the stress relief techniques of either or the effects on bore life but I do know that of the cut rifle barrels I have owned versus the button pulled barrels I have owned, the button barrels held up MUCH longer than the cut using the same cartridge, bullet type(s) and powders and near identical charge weights.

Michael,
Yes the way Hart does it is the way all the button barrel makers I know do it . When I was making button barrels we would drill, ream, prelap, button, stress relieve, contour,stress relieve,final lap for size and interior finish.

As far as throat erosion I think it's more of the steel a certain barrel maker uses VS. button or cut rifled. I talk to just about all of the well known barrel makers at shoots and trade shows and there are about 5 different steel company's we all use for our 416R stainless steel and all 416R stainless steel is not created equal.

Paul Tolvstad
Rock Creek Barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.