Did Wipeout Products Ruin My Barrel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoneNOut

I let Wipeout Accelerator sit in my barrel for 45 mins yesterday. When I patched it out, rust colored product poured out the end. Now I have what looks like corrosion etching/deposits through the bore.

I called Wipeout and was reassured I wasn't seeing rust, just the chemical reaction between Accelerator and powder fouling. I was told to use the Wipeout foam and it would clean it all out. I did. No change in what I'm seeing. I sent the Borescope pics to Wipeout. I was told I would get a call back. Didn't get a call.

I thoroughly degrease my bores prior to shooting. So there was no other cleaning chemicals in the bore.

I researched this and found this has happened to others and Wipeout initially made claims the rust color was from the red lid of the cans leaching into the product. I have no red anything on this bottle. Later claims by Wipeout say the powder fouling thing was the reason. I read a poster sent pictures like mine and Wipeout wouldn't respond.

Wipeout guy says he looked at my pictures and sees nothing wrong. Says if patches come out clean the barrel is clean. I was also told I didn't know what I was looking at through the Borescope. The conversation didn't end well.

Barrel was beautiful with only 200rnds. One 45 minute sit with accelerator:
IMG_0681.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

I can't get this out of my bore with what I have on hand. Haven't tried abrasives yet.

Last edited:
I leave the wipeout and accelerator and leave barrels all night never a problem. Your issue is something else. Don't leave clr in the barrel long and be sure to get it all out. It's very corrosive. There's several carbon solvents out there that work fine.
What do you suggest?

Looks like it is on the metal and not in it. Try a brush and some patches. That doesn't work, maybe one or two patches of Isso and some clean ones. That doesn't work, just shoot it and see what happens.
Looks like deposits mostly. I've tried all the solvents in my shop as well as nylon and bronze brushes. These are photos after all my efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.