Determining a Rem 700 Modle

If you like it, buy it. If he's not asking much, buy it anyway. It might grow on you, or turn it and make a few bucks. 700s are excellent rifles.

I will not swear to it, but I think what you have there from what I can see in the pics is a late model AWR, not to be confused with the custom shop version from the 90s. I owned two of them. They were complete custom rifles built in the custom shop that sold for around $2500-3500. Complete with glass bedded Mcmillian stocks, Douglas match grade barrels, and Teflon coated actions and barrels with the 40x match trigger, best I remember. They were real shooters.

The example you have is a production gun by the same name built in the last 5 or 10 years. It is little more than a CDL in a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block and a hinged floor plate. Probably not a bad rifle but not worth near what the original AWRs were worth. $1000-$1500 new if memory serves me correct.

I remember seeing one in a local Cabela's and being disappointed because it was not the same quality as the original. I also felt like because they used the same name as the custom shop gun pictured in the 1997 catalogue it devalued those guns which really were works of art and tough as nails for everything from Alaska to Africa.

If I think it is what I think it is a new model AWR produced some where between 2008-2020 it is worth about $800 or $900 in my opinion. If you can get it for that it would probably be a good deal and should be a good shooter. Remington had problems with their coatings on there late model guns but if you can get it for a decent price that is nothing a good cerakote job can't fix and you would have a go anywhere rifle.

Good luck! Hope that helps with your decision.

Yes, but it also says ... or to speak with a Remington Product Services team member. After posted business hours and on weekends, please leave a voicemail with your information or go to Contact Us to let us know how we can help you.

I understand that Remington's Firearms and Ammunition are now separate companies but options are there nonetheless. Anyways, @devildog090106 for Remington Firearms Product Services, try contacting [email protected]. You can also try their Historian at 1-800-243-9700 option 7. Good luck!
@devildog090106 , I sent a query last night, and below was their response this AM ...

RR prefix.JPG

ADDED: 4/6
I sent them a follow-up, and this is their latest response ...

RR prefix 1.JPG

While they are not able to provide more information, they are at least responding to queries.

Ed

Last edited:
I have a RR serialized action that I used in a custom build for a 300PRC. Do a search about the RR actions as they've had some issues with primary extraction. Unless this is a custom shop rifle more than likely you could experience poor PE. I ended up sending my barreled action to LRI for the primary extraction to be fixed. See below a discussion I followed closely.

D58C85A5-996C-4DF3-B9FF-5573743CD8E8.png

LRI's 2 cents below
C60099F3-BB2B-482C-8AC2-D617A341C47B.png

Last edited:
I have a RR serialized action that I used in a custom build for a 300PRC. Do a search about the RR actions as they've had some issues with primary extraction. Unless this is a custom shop rifle more than likely you could experience poor PE. I ended up sending my barreled action to LRI for the primary extraction to be fixed. See below a discussion I followed closely.

View attachment 266067
LOL! That's the same link I provided in #20.

Nice that you got a reply. As for whether or not the RR has a special meaning or not I don't know. It interesting that the statement was made that they made the comment that they have issues with legacy information.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.