Designing the perfect bullet box

The lid need to be more than just a slip on lid. I don't know that an actual latch is the answer but it definitely needs a way to keep it secured in your pack without hindering quick access if needed. I hate when I go to grab more ammo and they are all spilled in the pack.
Frankford Arsenal ammo vault is about the most secure I've used without hindering access too much.
I am going to try a interference type latch. Basically a ball and a hole to keep the lid on. 👍

Attachments

• 8050EC99-6E2B-4B07-B293-7A06EB454A9C.jpeg
    8050EC99-6E2B-4B07-B293-7A06EB454A9C.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 4B81D4BF-D809-4377-80B9-EB5A520B1641.jpeg
    4B81D4BF-D809-4377-80B9-EB5A520B1641.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Update. I started the print yesterday and its looking pretty good. I am by no means a professional with cad or 3d printing so there will be learning along the way. I am noticing some voids in the print using this new fillament, so Ill need to fix that. Also looking at some higher temp fillaments for this project. I am mainly curious about fit at the moment and less about finish. Also, it appears I made the walls thicker than needed. Each bullet hole is basically a mirror image of that cartridge chamber. It has the exact same case taper and shoulder angle. I made the "chambers" about .010" larger for filament shrinkage (I may need more clearance) It should be finished when I get home after work tonight.

Attachments

• 417B5468-FDC6-4A37-A66B-8445910968F9.jpeg
    417B5468-FDC6-4A37-A66B-8445910968F9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Interesting idea. FWIW my printer shrinks about 5% from the drawing. I've been wanting to try some carbon reinforced nylon. The nylon is flexible and carbon adds strength. It's spendy though and I'm sure more difficult to work with.
I tried some Nylon carbon fiber the other day and it seemed to do ok. Are you drawing items up in cad and printing them or just printing stl files?

Unknownmunitions has a very nice expensive ammo holder that is for the range or travel BUT the whole inside is just foam with the bullet area drilled out. IF you have a chance to use one, you will think you are in ammo box heaven.
Consider making the box hollow and inserting the foam. They don't move or rattle and each one is nicely protected.
We are all different, but I personally have never packed 20 bullets to the top of the hill but I understand some wont leave the tent without 20 plus what is in your mag. Consider making both sizes.

Unknownmunitions has a very nice expensive ammo holder that is for the range or travel BUT the whole inside is just foam with the bullet area drilled out. IF you have a chance to use one, you will think you are in ammo box heaven.
Consider making the box hollow and inserting the foam. They don't move or rattle and each one is nicely protected.
We are all different, but I personally have never packed 20 bullets to the top of the hill but I understand some wont leave the tent without 20 plus what is in your mag. Consider making both sizes.
I like the foam idea, and I may line the inside of the lid. One of the advantages to printing these is how easy it can be. I drew the cad file in such a way that I only have to adjust 5 measurements for each cartridge. The box and lid dimensions have preset wall thickness and the dimensions are dependent on the case size. For example, the length of the box is the large diameter on the case x 10 plus 11 wall thicknesses. So change the case size and the entire box will change size to the smallest size possible for that case. Click print and walk away till its done. With the foam, I cant see a easy way to manufacture a one size fits all for all the different case sizes.

Last edited:
Design one for 20 rounds, with the back row higher than the front row , by a half inch so or so ,so your not fumbling around trying to get them out.
Then I think the front row would be difficult. Since the vast majority of us reload I put my shells back just about as soon as I have shot them. I would like to see a 50 pack more than a day pack as I use a stock shell holder and clip for day trips. 50 case with interchangeable shell holders from .223, 260-284, 30 cal, .338-378. Something along this line.....just me. I just can't think of a time that I've taken more than 6 shells to the field. In my 50s I just put a layer of sponge or foam in the lid tips up, keeps them tight and protected. As above, I always used the foam in the lid.

Hey guys, I recently got a 3D printer and have been doing some design and development for different things. As a avid hunter and reloader, I have searched for the perfect bullet box for hunting and haven't found anything to get excited about.
I would like your opinions and ideas on this.
Here is a list of things I would like to incorporate into this bullet box:
Quiet! I hate my bullets rattling around in the stock box in my pack. No more sticking small sticks between each bullet. 😂

I don't like the bullets resting and impacting the tip of the bullet! I think it should rest on the case taper. Yeah we crimp the case but why should chance it if it gets dropped?

Smaller and possibly lighter. Theres wasted space in the standard boxes, and limited space in our day packs!

Waterproof. I am considering using a oring seal around the top for the lid.

Am I missing anything? Also, I am considering printing a few of these out for people to try in different calibers if all goes well. Anyone interested in something like this?
Here is the first prototype. I think the final will be a 20 round box.
Thanks for your input
Brad
Quality cartridge used a similar sleeved box forever and they definitely work.

About the only way to eliminate the rattling though is going to be by forming case specific "slots" or for a small, medium, and large diameter cases.