Designing the perfect bullet box

bmoore2156

Hey guys, I recently got a 3D printer and have been doing some design and development for different things. As a avid hunter and reloader, I have searched for the perfect bullet box for hunting and haven't found anything to get excited about.
I would like your opinions and ideas on this.
Here is a list of things I would like to incorporate into this bullet box:
Quiet! I hate my bullets rattling around in the stock box in my pack. No more sticking small sticks between each bullet. 😂

I don't like the bullets resting and impacting the tip of the bullet! I think it should rest on the case taper. Yeah we crimp the case but why should chance it if it gets dropped?

Smaller and possibly lighter. Theres wasted space in the standard boxes, and limited space in our day packs!

Waterproof. I am considering using a oring seal around the top for the lid.

Am I missing anything? Also, I am considering printing a few of these out for people to try in different calibers if all goes well. Anyone interested in something like this?
Here is the first prototype. I think the final will be a 20 round box.
Thanks for your input
Brad

Attachments

• DCAA6721-D4E1-4475-A331-0B0BC156E125.jpeg
    DCAA6721-D4E1-4475-A331-0B0BC156E125.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 220
I agree with the shoulder support. I don't like damaging the tips because they bounced around. Not to sure of needing an o-ring if there is a slide cap with fairly long sides. Only concern there would be the body and the cap sticking together. You would have to check dimensions to see if temperature would affect the dimensions by creating an interference.
I will follow this thread.

Interested. You mention day packs. I wouldnt want to carry around 20 rounds in my day pack personally. But i would like a nice 20 round pack for the truck. Gives me an idea. 2x 10 round packs that connect together for a 20. Not too worried about waterproof. Material that can withstand 5' drop at 0 degrees would be nice. Tried to send pm but it wouldnt let me.

I agree with the shoulder support. I don't like damaging the tips because they bounced around. Not to sure of needing an o-ring if there is a slide cap with fairly long sides. Only concern there would be the body and the cap sticking together. You would have to check dimensions to see if temperature would affect the dimensions by creating an interference.
I will follow this thread.
I certainly could do a cap with a latch. Was thinking a oring would provide the interference fit while maintaining clearance for the body/lid.
Probably try it with your suggestion first and just make a long slide lid. Thanks!

Interested. You mention day packs. I wouldnt want to carry around 20 rounds in my day pack personally. But i would like a nice 20 round pack for the truck. Gives me an idea. 2x 10 round packs that connect together for a 20. Not too worried about waterproof. Material that can withstand 5' drop at 0 degrees would be nice. Tried to send pm but it wouldnt let me.
I checked my settings and didnt see a PM toggle on/off? Ideas? Not sure why it wont send a pm. Next idea is a 6 shooter cylinder that fits in your truck cup holder. Not sure how many rounds is would hold but would certainly help organize shells and keep them secure for the truck hunters.
I agree 10 and 20 round should be a option.

Last edited:
Under your name it only shows follow, ignore,trader history. No "start conversation" option. Not sure why.

I agree with wyo37 when im hiking a magazine typically holds enough ammo for me. But that doesnt cover a lot of scenarios. Coyote/wolf hunts for example. Multi day trips another example. Sometimes a person might want to carry some extra. . .

Now the bullet holding beer cozy you mentioned for "truck hunters" thats brilliant! 😆

Under your name it only shows follow, ignore,trader history. No "start conversation" option. Not sure why.

I agree with wyo37 when im hiking a magazine typically holds enough ammo for me. But that doesnt cover a lot of scenarios. Coyote/wolf hunts for example. Multi day trips another example. Sometimes a person might want to carry some extra. . .

Now the bullet holding beer cozy you mentioned for "truck hunters" thats brilliant! 😆
Looks like I need to have 10 posts before I can DM. I have been a member since 2011. I suppose I should post more. 😂. I hunt out of state every year and we pack in about 4 miles. When I leave camp to hunt for the day I usually take a minimum of one box, sometimes 2. Its less about my shooting ability and more about survival at 9k' elevation and usually a foot or 2 of snow on the
ground. Plenty of wolves in the area for target practice. Ill get to work on the beer bullet holder. lol.

The lid need to be more than just a slip on lid. I don't know that an actual latch is the answer but it definitely needs a way to keep it secured in your pack without hindering quick access if needed. I hate when I go to grab more ammo and they are all spilled in the pack.
Frankford Arsenal ammo vault is about the most secure I've used without hindering access too much.

I use this and throw it in a zip lock. If I'm super stressed over waterproof , water proof little bag off Amazon for 8 bucks.

I use this and throw it in a zip lock. If I'm super stressed over waterproof , water proof little bag off Amazon for 8 bucks.
Ive looked at them and they do seem like they would work pretty good.