Deforming Nozler Accubond bullet tips

I'm betting accidentally grabbing the wrong diameter 140gr bullets, but it's either that or neck tension IMHO. It must take some force on the handle to do that.

I just seated 50 260gr AB's in my 375 Bee, neck tension was at .002", at least half shaved the bullets, the necks were not sharp and tension was not an issue.
So what could have caused that?
I still think the bullet or seat plug is wrong in the OP's pic.

Cheers.

Just reread the OP.....
the latest newest box of 65284 lapua all had to be opened up...
was shaving copper and doing same with 142lrabs tip......

Thank you, fellow shooters. That's new Lapua brass without any case prep. I'm working on the road and didn't bring all my gadgets. I do have a mandrel coming. This isn't a compressed load. I thought maybe the Accubond jackets were thin. I'll report back after I run the mandrel into the necks & try again.

Try Barnes TTSX bullets. They love a long jump. I just changed out my old RCBS champfer sp? bit to a new one and it made a world of difference in seating ease. Your bushing size in the competition dies may matter? I am still learning this stuff the hard way.

Only time I've seen a ring that pronounced on a bullet tip from the seater was a buddies reloads who had just got started reloading and he set up his seater die so the press would cam over. Took me going over to his place to see his setup to figure it out

Consider bushing dies with a little less neck tension. Or, have your Smith set the barrel back and rechamber with a reamer throated for the bullets you plan to use.

I bought a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5-284 that has too much jump and won't shoot Berger VLD Hunting bullets accurately. I can't seat the bullets near the lands of the bore. There is almost 0.200 of jump with secant ogive bullets. I'm trying various tangent ogive bullets to see if I can settle down the groups. My problem: I'm deforming the bullet tips on the Accubond bullets. Switched my Redding Competition Seater back to the original seating plug (removed the VLD plug), but the deformation is too severe to continue. I ordered 21st Century dies & mandrels to open up my new Lapua brass. However, I'd appreciate some advice re/ this issue. Are others having problems? Do particular seating dies work best with tangent ogive bullets? Thank you in advance.
try redding seater die i did solved my problems

I bought a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5-284 that has too much jump and won't shoot Berger VLD Hunting bullets accurately. I can't seat the bullets near the lands of the bore. There is almost 0.200 of jump with secant ogive bullets. I'm trying various tangent ogive bullets to see if I can settle down the groups. My problem: I'm deforming the bullet tips on the Accubond bullets. Switched my Redding Competition Seater back to the original seating plug (removed the VLD plug), but the deformation is too severe to continue. I ordered 21st Century dies & mandrels to open up my new Lapua brass. However, I'd appreciate some advice re/ this issue. Are others having problems? Do particular seating dies work best with tangent ogive bullets? Thank you in advance.
I have seen a slight shadow before but not a indentation like that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.