Defiance vs bighorn

matt_3479

With a gun at the smith now completing a build I'm already trying to work out the details for the next one. This rifle will be used primarily as my moose hunting rifle but will obviously be shooting target for practice as well.

I'm looking at a long action mag bolt face. I go to an extremely remote area and need a good reliable action!! I have been thinking of this build for a few years now and defiance was always what I thought I was going to go with. But reading and looking around the bighorn tl3 seems to be growing in popularity massively and wondered if it might be a better option on a hunting rifle as I have seen a few people mention the dirt and grit can really jam up a defiance. What's your thoughts between the two?

Lone Peak..Surgeon...Bat..Curtis..There are choices galore....
But there seems to be delivery issues with some of them.
The waiting on other people is what prompted me to get my own FFL.
Now I can order my own stuff and not depend on someone else!

Last edited:
Matt~
Take a look at the Curtis Axiom.

Hey Joel, I love the look of your action, bothe the axiom and vector. But they aren't the easiest to find in Canada! Nothing too easy to find lol and prices are ridiculous here as well 2000+ for most higher end actions! I don't know what the axiom goes for here or who stocks them. I'd love to see one!

Lone Peak..Surgeon...Bat..Curtis..There are choices galore....
But there seems to be delivery issues with some of them.
The waiting on other people is what prompted me to get my own FFL.
Now I can order my own stuff and not depend on someone else!

I don't know anyone who carries the lone peak or Curtis in Canada. But the bat's and surgeons I do. Bat is a huge back log for Canada right now. Defiance, surgeon, bighorn, stiller, kelbly, and impact are the actions I can find the easiest. I just keep hearing such good things right now with the bighorn being increadibly smooth, and goes through anything without a hiccup. And the defiance is just so sexy lol

Look at the SR3 Bighorn, its their hunting based action. Its what I will build my next 28 Nosler, 338 edge and 280 AI switch barrel setup off of. If I didnt care about swapping barrels my next choice would be a Lone peak in a titanium action. Good luck!

Bighorns for me on hunting and comp rigs....
And I have had or still have Defiance, Surgeon, Impacts.

Bighorns for me on hunting and comp rigs....
And I have had or still have Defiance, Surgeon, Impacts.

Is there a reason you switched from the other 3? In your opinion, do the other three have something the bighorn doesn't or isn't quite as nice of? I can't get my hands on a bighorn but really has my interest

Hey Joel, I love the look of your action, bothe the axiom and vector. But they aren't the easiest to find in Canada! Nothing too easy to find lol and prices are ridiculous here as well 2000+ for most higher end actions! I don't know what the axiom goes for here or who stocks them. I'd love to see one!

EM Precision Rifles carries them.
780-690-7513

I like the Defiance. My next build will use the Deviant ultralight hunter action. Integral recoil lug and bases. Will mount great scope rings and not worry about bedding a scope base or screws stripping due to recoil.

Good morning Matt being from Canada my self And being an avid sheep hunter i have the same issues as your self. Also trying to get good parts up here in a timely fashion is another.
I'm currently doing a build right now using KS Arms action and all I can say is I'm very impressed!! I'm also using one of there custom barrels.
The parts they supply are really top notch and there wait times and prices are really awesome. There service is awesome!!
My build should be about 8-10 weeks delivered. I went all Canadian parts this time to avoid wait time on rifle and importing. Check them out might be another option for you.
These guys are also serious sheep hunters so you know there stuff will be top notch in the rough terrain and conditions.
Cheers

Thanks everyone! I'll look more into some other actions. My current build will be back late January I hope so I'll purchase this next action late January-February I hope: it will be a long slow process but I know pretty much what I'd like for the rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts