Bighorn origin vs sr3

toptom60

I am starting to plan a new hunting build idea I have in my head is a lighter 308. My question is if I am more ahead with either action. I know from what I'm seeing there different metals and integral lug and I read the sr3 has a larger port. Only thing is I can't find many reviews about the sr3 are they any smoother then the origin.

I have two origins and I have not felt an SR3, so take this with a grain of salt.

One of the ways they save money on the origin is not having any options beside bolt handle and bolt face. No tang changes, no different magazine cuts, etc. If you want the standard tang and a BDL bottom, I would get the origin. I had one of mine opened up for a wyatts extended box and was still $350 under a TL3/SR3. Aesthetically I prefer the straight bolt handle, but its not worth the upcharge just for that.

Big Horn posted on facebook last month that going forward the Origin action would be machined from stainless instead of chrome moly. One less reason to pony up the additional money for the SR3, IMHO. The nitride finish on the Origin is very good and I can't imagine the SR3 being much smoother than this.

My advice, get the origin and put the $400 difference towards a better barrel, trigger, scope, stock, etc.

If you know what trigger you are using when you order, let them know and they will give you a different cocking piece to time the cock on close

I have two origins and I have not felt an SR3, so take this with a grain of salt.

One of the ways they save money on the origin is not having any options beside bolt handle and bolt face. No tang changes, no different magazine cuts, etc. If you want the standard tang and a BDL bottom, I would get the origin. I had one of mine opened up for a wyatts extended box and was still $350 under a TL3/SR3. Aesthetically I prefer the straight bolt handle, but its not worth the upcharge just for that.

Big Horn posted on facebook last month that going forward the Origin action would be machined from stainless instead of chrome moly. One less reason to pony up the additional money for the SR3, IMHO. The nitride finish on the Origin is very good and I can't imagine the SR3 being much smoother than this.

My advice, get the origin and put the $400 difference towards a better barrel, trigger, scope, stock, etc.

If you know what trigger you are using when you order, let them know and they will give you a different cocking piece to time the cock on close
I didn't know that about them switching to stainless that is definitely something that makes the origin a bigger draw.

I didn't know that about them switching to stainless that is definitely something that makes the origin a bigger draw.

No brainer for me at this point, unless you need a specific magazine cut or right hand left port or something, I'd go origin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210407-124759_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210407-124759_Facebook.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.