Origin & Bartlein or SR3 & PROOF?

Which barreled action to start a hunting build?

• Origin & Bartlein carbon fiber

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • SR3 & PROOF Carbon fiber

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
You will happy with either. The origin is a great action and combined with a proof, u will be happy and options everywhere for prefits.
E6683CB5-2878-4A86-A437-34227A4D421D.jpeg
354002B8-8BEA-4CF2-8DAE-DE0A3F2287F0.jpeg
8D83B9D5-C692-4FC4-8CA4-A96F9E17A979.jpeg

Give me a week and reload for it and make it shoot and I will be bored with it lol!
Isn't that the freaking truth!! Ha ha

I run a long action origin with a 24" origin proof 7 saum prefit and then when I want a shorter overall package I throw on the hlr recoil lug and 22" sr3 proof prefit in 6.5 prc.

it works great and would recommend it. I also just got a short action origin and will be running and xcaliber savage prefit with a nut in 22 creedmoor.

Lots of good options out there. Good luck!

I think you'll be happy either way. Personally I'd go bartlein/origin combo if i had to go that route between the choices only cause I love bartlein barrels. But the thing that would bother me is I'd always be wondering if the sr3/tl3 was that much better. You can read all you want on it (and I have) and in the end i wouldn't be able to stop wondering... hence why I went with the tl3

I know this has nothing to do with the form but what's with all of the ad pop ups on here now ?
come on here to read articles on shooting and hunting. Ok I feel better now carry on

If you have a reamer you like for the bullets you use and a smith that you trust. I'd go custom chambered blank over a prefit any day. I've had both and custom chambered barrels have always shot better. Big fan of Bartlein no experience with proof. I also like the look of a shouldered barrel verses a nut.

A buddy and I recently built nearly twin rifles on bighorn tl3's, except he used a proof prefit and I used a bartlein (both steel), and neither of us are good enough shooters to tell the difference in accuracy. I would have been content with an origin, but I plan on swapping barrels often and it's much easier with an integral recoil lug.

I went with the origin, mostly because of the features vs price point. If this is going to be a WSM or basically any short action where you will load beyond SAAMI lengths you'll want something other than the origin. The only way to run longer COALs with an origin is by using a DBM. I also will be placing an order for a bartlein in the next couple days. If you're set on having a CF barrel, bartlein makes one too.

I have an sr3, tl3 and origin. IMO I'll be sticking with the origins. Biggest reason for me is the fact that long and short actions on the origin have the same tenon specs. I can spin a barrel from a short or long action and have it head space. The tl3 long and short are different tenon specs.

The SR3 for $1250 + $829 for proof

Origin for $825 + $1100 for the bartlein

There's only $150 difference between the two options.

$1100 for a Bartlein barrel? Should be $350 for a blank and then the smith to make it a prefit might be $300-400.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.