Defiance Deviant Tactical vs. Bighorn (Zermatt) TL3

RuninL8

I just curious on opinions between these two actions. I'm going to be building a 7mm Rem Mag with Hawkins dbm. I've shot both and really can not tell a discernable difference, other than the Zermatt having a floating bolt head. Also, I know the defiance has an integrated rail, I'm sure this helps with rigidity, but to what extent? I really am looking for opinions, maybe something I'm missing or haven't thought about. Thanks

I can only speak to the Zermatt TL3 (no experience with the Defiance). I have no regrets with my TL3 22-250 AI. I'm a fan of the mechanical ejector and ability to swap bolt heads (and calibers) easily. Once I shoot out my current barrel, I have a Bartlein 22 Creed already chambered and ready to spin on. Prefits are in abundance, both shouldered TL3 or savage style w/nut. I should also note, Zermatt's customer service is fantastic. Ray is the man!
9626EADB-230D-45FF-8498-650BD4D0C6CB.jpeg

I don't own a big horn but have multiple Defiance actions and I am very happy with them. Although I don't think you could go wrong with either. Personally I wouldn't let the integrated rail steer you in any particular direction.

I actually have both those actions. Pros and cons with both of them, I couldn't really say one is better then the other.

The Deviant tactical is a pretty heavy action. Take that into consideration if your building for a certain weight. I have no doubt it's a more rigid action, the weight reflects that. Closing the bolt is like closing a vault. The one I have is Nitrided and it's slick as glass.You can tell the tolerances are super tight, almost to the point of concern if your running it in the dust/dirt. I have never had a problem with it but I could see the potential for it. That being said it's a very nice action and has the looks to go along with the feel. If I was buying a Defiant right now I would get a guaranteed headspace model for prefits. As far as I know the Deviant Tactical doesn't accept ruckus/anti prefits.

TL3's are pretty cool actions. The bolt head swap and all the prefits available make them super versatile. The bolt is more prone to binding if you don't run it straight, you will read complaints about this and it can bind but the easy solution is to just run it right. The CRF is personal preference, its never been a make it or break it type of thing for me. Mechanical ejector is really nice, ease back the bolt and grab your empty to put back in your box or run it hard and throw brass 5'. The cocking pieces are also easy to change for trigger timing on the TL3.

Im really no help, both are great actions and I think you would be happy with either. I think If I was building a rifle that i was never going to mess with, one barrel, one trigger, bedded to a stock etc then Defiance. If you love to tinker then the Bighorn is the action to get.

I just curious on opinions between these two actions. I'm going to be building a 7mm Rem Mag with Hawkins dbm. I've shot both and really can not tell a discernable difference, other than the Zermatt having a floating bolt head. Also, I know the defiance has an integrated rail, I'm sure this helps with rigidity, but to what extent? I really am looking for opinions, maybe something I'm missing or haven't thought about. Thanks
I done a lot of long range hunting rigs with the bighoen actions and evryone loves them have never used the other but both custom actions sould give you what you want and work fine

Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your Username, Signature or in your Public Profile including the Home Page found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.

Sponsors are allowed to post anywhere in the forums.

And please change your profile picture immediately.

I'm really not sure how I was promoting my business by asking opinions on a gun I'm building for myself. But I'll bite and change my pic.