Defiance Deviant Hunter action vs.Rem 700 vs. Win. Model 70

Wisner74

I am looking for some time info regarding g the difference, preference between the defiance Deviant hunter action and Trued/blueprinted Remington 700 action as well as Win. Model 700. I am currently putting together a 300 win mag hunting rifle. Just haven't picked the action. Was hoping for some input before I spend the $1300 on the Defiance. Thanks

Not in the same ballpark. It comes down to either you wanting a custom action or a factory? If factory then stick with the Rem 700.

If custom, then Defiance is awesome. So is Stiller, Borden, Lone Peak, Nesika, Pierce..etc...

Not in the same ballpark. It comes down to either you wanting a custom action or a factory? If factory then stick with the Rem 700.

If custom, then Defiance is awesome. So is Stiller, Borden, Lone Peak, Nesika, Pierce..etc...

You will have higher tolerances w/ the custom actions than a fixed up factory action. If you are considering custom I would be deciding on which on rather then entertaining the idea of a factory action.

By the time you bring a remington as close as you can to a stiller (which it will never be) you've spent almost as much MINUS the higher tolerances and the resale value.

Is there a gig difference in the custom??? Benefits???

Tighter tolerances, smoother, more options, better resale value...gun)

Nothing "wrong" with a rifle built on a 700 though. It really just depends on how much you wanna spend...

The Defiance, in my opinion, will be stronger and more consistent than a trued factory action. But there are many gunsmiths out there talented enough that you will not be able to shoot the difference between 2 guns with all other variable being the same.

It will also come with a better extractor, integral lug, and integral rail, and 30% primary extraction on bolt lift. Also everyone's opinion of what a "trued" factory action is will differ. But if a gunsmith knows what he's doing and you put everything into a R700 that you will get from a $1300 Defiance I'd say the cost would almost be a wash unless you inherited the factory or have no money in it somehow.

By everything I mean side bolt release, bolt knob, bolt fluting, firing pin & spring, aftermarket heavy recoil lug, picatinny rail, and then machine it true.

To me the integral rail, integral lug, and finish of the Defiance make it well worth the money.

I love myself a custom action for several of the reasons mentioned. However, there are a lot of niceties on a custom action that don't directly contribute to accuracy. If a guy is on a budget and wants to build a rifle on a Rem 700 and get the stuff done that really matters, he can get the action, trigger, bottom metal and the work done for around half the cost of a Deviant if he does it right.

If a guy has more than $1000 into a Rem action to make it shoot, he got screwed by someone. I know of several guys that take a factory spec'd Rem 700 action, screw a premium barrel onto it and proceed to shoot tiny groups.

Well I sure appreciate all the help. Have decided to get the Defiance. I have always wanted a complete custom.

Obermeyer finished my barrel today!!!!:)

Now onto the stock. Been looking at the Manners eh-1. Need to be in the no more than 30 Oz range. Want a long range hunting stock. Any recommendations????

Well I sure appreciate all the help. Have decided to get the Defiance. I have always wanted a complete custom.

Obermeyer finished my barrel today!!!!:)

Now onto the stock. Been looking at the Manners eh-1. Need to be in the no more than 30 Oz range. Want a long range hunting stock. Any recommendations????

There is absolutely no reason an EH-1 wouldn't be perfect for your build. Very nice stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.