Defiance tenacity or bighorn origin for hunting rifle build

55stone

Hey guys, I think I have finally decided to go with a custom action for a new hunting rifle.. I really want to keep it around 900 for the action so I was really looking st the defiance tenacity or big horn origin.. there isn't much real world info out there about the defiance but there is decent amount(all good) about the bighorn.. what are your guys thoughts?

My origin is a sa standard bolt face, fitted with a TT diamond, in a krg bravo, 25 creedmoor. It's decent, has some noticeable cock on close and more firing pin fall than needed, plan to get it tuned up. I do not own a tenacity, but my friend does, it's a BadRock chassis rifle in 6.5 prc so it's the intermediate length. It's pretty nice, very smooth, I personally haven't shot it, just played with it a bit. Another action in this ballpark is a kelbly atlas tactical, they run 900-950$ and are very nice, have an adjustable trigger hanger and mechanical blade style ejector, comes full nitride and is very smooth and tight, no slop in it at all. The only superior feature of the other two compared to the kelbly, the origin has swappable bolt heads and it has somewhat of a control round feed feature, but it's not 100% reliable in crf function. Prefit barrels are available from several vendors for the kelbly and origin, but have saw none for tenacity. That's my input!

Hey guys, I think I have finally decided to go with a custom action for a new hunting rifle.. I really want to keep it around 900 for the action so I was really looking st the defiance tenacity or big horn origin.. there isn't much real world info out there about the defiance but there is decent amount(all good) about the bighorn.. what are your guys thoughts?

ive got a couple deviants and they are awesome. The people at defiance are A number 1 and they answer a call right away. I Don't have a tenacity but I don't believe defiance would put out a product that wasn't up to par. Also in ur price range would be Stiller. I like them but they are far from my favorite. Nothing wrong with them either.

Thank you guys that's the kind of info I'm looking for!! Highdrum if you don't mind me asking what's firing pin fall?

upload_2019-11-10_8-1-24.png

My tenacity should be finished in the next couple weeks.

How long has the wait been?

5 weeks and was quoted 6. I'm in no hurry, if I was they had long action mags with widened ultra mag feed rails in stock but I just wanted normal rails and was waiting on my stock anyway. Figured someone else would be in more of a hurry than me.

I don't have either unfortunately but wanted to weigh in on it. I do own a stiller tac 30 and the Kelbly atlas tac. The Kelbly feels miles above its price point. The people at Kelbly are incredible, and there actions are second to none. They are buttery smooth, there mechanical ejector works flawlessly, I love the idea of a trigger hanger, and can get prefits for them. Like mentioned early you might not be able to swap bolt heads but you can get different bolts with different bolt faces with no smithing work required. Just pull on bolt and slap the other in, swap your barrel and away you go

I have both and they are both pretty good. The origin has the standard bolt face and the intention was to rechamber a proof, carbon, 26 inch tube from 7mm-08 to 7mm SAUM. I priced the magnum bolt face and was disappointed at the 175 price tag but that is still the plan. I had a friend make me a bolt knob because I didn't like the one that came with the Bighorn. The action is very nice but not near as smooth as others I have shot. That said, it shoots lights out with my wife's 7-08 barrel and an AG carbon stock. The Defiance Tenacity is on a target setup with a Brux, heavy varmint, chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua. It is one of the slickest actions that I have worked and very well put together. That setup is probably the most accurate rifle I have shot. It is currently sitting in a KRG Bravo chassis until the target stock in complete. There are pros and cons to both but if I was building another short action target rifle, I would buy another Defiance. I kind of like the bolt position for a hunting rifle, on the Bighorn and of course the option of changing to a magnum (but the cost of a bolthead is a joke). I got a good deal on the Bighorn with the standard bolt head and a Trigger Tech trigger from someone that bought several and did not us one or else I would have ordered one with a magnum bolthead. By the way, the Defiance has a Trigger Tech diamond installed. Let me know if you have specific questions and I will answer as honestly as I know how or give my opinion when asked.

Very happy with my two origins. Savage threads and shouldered prefits are available from a variety of sources. Have only felt a few other customs but think the action feel is in line. Your mileage may vary.

I just finished 4 rifles with the bighorn Origin two with S.S/ match barrels and one with a proof carbon fiber the last was a proof carbon fiber 6.5 PRC and with a 223 S.S. for on the cheap trainer barrel love the bighorn set up all shoulder fits

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.