Defective die?

big_matt_duq

I just tried to bump the shoulders on some once fired 284 brass and if I set the die low enough to bump 0.002 it creates a raised sharp edge on the shoulder body junction. You can catch a fingernail on it. It seems like it is hard to size too. If I back off a hair it doesn't bump the shoulder. Anyone ever experience this? I emailed the die maker so I don't want to say their name until they respond but it is one of the main ones.

What is your measurement at the problem spot and .200 line.
Might not be a die problem and could be a problem with the reamer that was used out of spec.
New gun or old?

Not sure what you mean by the .200 line? problem spot is right above where a .420 shoulder gauge hits. Like right at the shoulder/body junction. looking in the die, it looks like there is a machine mark visible.
Gun is an older forbes ULA. Fired brass doesn't show any odd marks.

If you look on a reamer print its .200 from the bolt face. If you can see machine marks I would send the die back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.