Defective brass

kbrangers

Anyone ever gotten defective Nosler brass? Opened up my new box of 6.5 prc brass yesterday and found this lil guy.

Attachments

• 904CF716-095B-4BC8-899F-1A94DE14B288.jpeg
    904CF716-095B-4BC8-899F-1A94DE14B288.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 647
  • 45344CCE-B550-4469-BF09-8467A5FD3D91.jpeg
    45344CCE-B550-4469-BF09-8467A5FD3D91.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 623
  • 7326B0CF-4D4D-43D1-AA30-9EE46DAF0DF2.jpeg
    7326B0CF-4D4D-43D1-AA30-9EE46DAF0DF2.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 623
Yes but they looked just fine. However the case heads were so soft I got severe (but false) over pressure signs 2 full grains under Noslers published max charge weight. I recall headed to the range with 30 rnds .4 grains apart. I fired the first round which measured the expected low velocity but I had to beat the bolt open with a rubber hammer. Went home an destroyed my hammer bullet puller pulling 29 bullets from my 28 Nosler
So, I Checked my data lowered my charge loaded up 30 more and back to the range. Later rinse and repeat….pulled 29 more bullets and threw brass in The trash. Bought some Peterson brass and never looked back

I had two boxes of Lapua 6.5PRC cases on back order at two different places. I waited about 7-8 months and they all came in at the same time. Now they are impossible to find again.

It's not that uncommon. Buy enough brass and you will see that from every company that doesn't hand inspect each piece before it gets packaged and sent. I am 100% positive that Lapua and ADG etc have an occasional cracked neck as well in their production, but I would bet some $$ will never see one outside the plant making them. I've had Winchester, Remington and Hornady in the last 10-15 years that had a cracked neck in the bag of new brass. One was cracked all the way through the shoulder, can't remember what brand it was. Call them and they will send replacement/s if you care to have that one piece....

EDIT: Not a fan of Nosler brass but having one piece out of whack/cracked shouldn't deter you. I have hundreds of pieces of Nosler brass and other than being soft haven't had an issue with it. I've run it pretty hard in 28N and 6.5CM and other than primer pockets loose in 4-5 firings no problems, and yes I understand I am likely exceeding recommended pressures to loosen primer pockets that fast. When other brass will run the same speeds and last 10-12 firings I don't worry about it much.....

I bought the first generation Nosler brass, it was the very first boxes to land here in Australia…..it was very pricy and later discovered it was made by Federal.
It was absolute junk, just like all Federal brass.
Later I was given a couple hundred of the Norma made 338-06 brass, suspecting it would be soft, I loaded a start load and could only go about 80% of a normal max load as it showed sticky extraction at that point and was a good 150fps slow.
I gave it back to my buddy and never looked at it again.
I still used Norma brass, but it is softer than most brands and primer pockets open quick unfortunately.

Cheers.

It was absolute junk, just like all Federal brass.

Cheers
funny i run federal nickel plated brass in our 6.5cm 280ai and 300 prc not a problem with it '
and my cm loads are a stiff dose of super performance pushing a 143 eld x out of a 24 inch barrel at 2880-2910 fps
and i get 7-8 fireings same as i do with hornady

funny i run federal nickel plated brass in our 6.5cm 280ai and 300 prc not a problem with it '
and my cm loads are a stiff dose of super performance pushing a 143 eld x out of a 24 inch barrel at 2880-2910 fps
and i get 7-8 fireings same as i do with hornady
Nickel plated cases are very bad on reloading dies…..reason I don't use it either.
I have no problem with Hornady brass…use it to make my 338-416 Rigby Improved brass, it's annealed when I buy it, saves one process step prior to pushing the shoulder forward .150" from the parent case. Also use Norma, albeit at less pressure due to it being thin and soft in the web.

Cheers.

Nickel plated cases are very bad on reloading dies…..reason I don't use it either.
I have no problem with Hornady brass…use it to make my 338-416 Rigby Improved brass, it's annealed when I buy it, saves one process step prior to pushing the shoulder forward .150" from the parent case. Also use Norma, albeit at less pressure due to it being thin and soft in the web.

Cheers.
hasnt damaged my dies yet and ive been reloadimg it for yrs

Yes but they looked just fine. However the case heads were so soft I got severe (but false) over pressure signs 2 full grains under Noslers published max charge weight. I recall headed to the range with 30 rnds .4 grains apart. I fired the first round which measured the expected low velocity but I had to beat the bolt open with a rubber hammer. Went home an destroyed my hammer bullet puller pulling 29 bullets from my 28 Nosler
So, I Checked my data lowered my charge loaded up 30 more and back to the range. Later rinse and repeat….pulled 29 more bullets and threw brass in The trash. Bought some Peterson brass and never looked back
Must have been plenty mad at that hammer.

Great QC, send them a nasty gram requesting your loot back and go somewhere else.

Never been impressed with nosler brass nor Hornady brass too.

Recent Posts