Defective brass

I have read that Nosler brass isn't worth a crap. I also heard that Nosler brass is made by Norma, who also makes Weatherby brass. I only use Norma and Weatherby brass in my .340, and have never had a problem with either. Is it true that Norma makes Nosler brass ?? Just wondering if it does, why the low opinion of Nosler ??

I bought some Lapua 223 brass from Brownells a couple of years ago. A whole box had blue annealing oxide on the sides of the case, some down to the head. I called Brownells and they sent me a replacement box of brass and didn't want the defective brass back.

If it's only one or two pieces, I wouldn't worry about it, but expensive is a relative term. If it were Sherman brass, I'd call in a minute.

Maybe the mfg knew of the irregularities and added some to compensate.
If was me, I'd inspect and count all brass in that purchase. THEN, if extras weren't added call, the mfg to voice my displeasure.

Nosler PRC brass is about as bad as it gets, i cannot understand why its so bad. All wsm nosler brass ive used has been great.

Doesn't matter how good the brass is. Buy enough new brass, and you WILL find bad brass that slipped by QC.

I have had bad ADG, Petersons, Lapua, Nosler, Remington.

Here are just a few.
20200509_125235.jpg

20200111_194726.jpg

20210911_192949.jpg

I have read that Nosler brass isn't worth a crap. I also heard that Nosler brass is made by Norma, who also makes Weatherby brass. I only use Norma and Weatherby brass in my .340, and have never had a problem with either. Is it true that Norma makes Nosler brass ?? Just wondering if it does, why the low opinion of Nosler ??
I've only loaded Norma brass in 0.308 'cause I have about 1200 once fired + about 300 with 15 firings and are still good, the primer pockets are tight.

T

I only load for 357 mag/38spl, 223 rem and 308 win.
IMHO in the pistol cal, I've not used US brass but S&B brass is excellent, longlasting and very consistent weight wise.
223 Rem, Remington brass is not nice, neither is winchester.
PPP and S&B are excellent and brass weight is very close brand on brand which is a good sign to me. 5.56 nato brass from european manufacturers is extremely heavy compared to 223 and tend to run out of space long before reaching DNE loads of CFE 223.
308 win, best brass I've used is federal (F.C.) I started with 80 cases and all have been refilled at least 11 times, some got up to 15 times. I retired them all because of nay sayers on another forum but I couldn't see anything the matter with them. 308 winchester brand wasn't as good neither was starlight, the only difference between it and winchester was it cost about 50% more. I have 60 win cases and 50 starlight, they are on their third reload and I think the win ones are starting to lose a grip on the primers
PPP and S&B brass in 308, I have 80 of each and, apart from the head stamp, they could be the same identical cases. I have 60 GGG match cases in 7.62 nato and they are slightly heavier than the 308 brass but give good, consistent loads, I'm on my 3rd time of refilling all these cases and couldn't say which I prefer.
I have to say that I've NEVER seen deformed brass like some of the images shown earlier., maybe I'm lucky.

Some of it, yes. Norma also ships them loaded ammo, which they simply replace the outer box to Nosler. The end flap codes will tell you who's it is if you know how to read it (I don't remember). Nosler has started making a bunch of their own brass at the new Redmond plant, 28 Nosler for example. Not sure if they're making belted brass there yet.

If you are looking for the best of the brass, you'll generally have to wait. I have used mostly Winchester Brass over the years. Now changing over to Peterson and Lapua Brass. So far the Peterson brass is a little different in case length by .002" to .005". I checked 50 pieces of the 500 pieces of 280AI from Petersons. So I am cutting all pieces to the shortest dimension. I will doing a hundred cases here in a few weeks. I will do a volume weight check after fireforming the cases. I think it will be a better time to check the weight volume.