Deer hunt in TX

swebb38

Went out yesterday morning and braved the frigid 75 degree temps to try my luck at some grass rabbits(Central TX Whitetail). I set up on a ridge overlooking about 1200 yrds total and ranged everything within 800 or so after first light. I watched three does at 400 come in to the oat pasture and was busy checking them out when I hear a slight scuff behind me. Have you ever had that happen? You know its a nice 10 point that has walked right up on you and you cant turn! I tried to tilt my head and peek around, but couldnt see anything. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, I heard it move off slowly. The wind had been in my favor and I slowly turned my head to look and behold my 10 point buck, waddling away, it was grey, had a shell and was about 12 inches high! I laughed so hard I spooked the does at 400 yrds. Thought I would share this embarrasing moment. Hope I dont get to much of a hard time for it.
Stacy

On an exotic hunt I went on in South Texas several years ago, I was held up under a big oak tree I think it was during one of your great down pours. Anyway, A little fella just like you discribed was pretty intent on being under the same tree I was under. Cared very little about me until I tapped him with a stick. Then all he did was stick his head into a small hole with only his shelled back exposed.

I thought I would be funny and I tapped the bottom cam of my bow on his back and the little S___ jumped straight up so fast that he knocked my quiver off my bow, **** near made me mess myself as well. I had no idea they could jump like that!!! After that he waddled off I am sure pretty unimpressed with the rude critter he found under that tree!!

Their so **** ugly their almost cute. Must be blind as a bat though??

Kirby Allen(50)

Oh yea they can jump and run very fast as well. This little guy was just creeping along, if he had been rooting I would have known what he was, but still made for a good hunt.
Stacy

Ha I guess I should have stated that...sorry. Yes it was an armadillo sneaking up on me and was hilarious when I realized just what it was. I pictured a nice buck, which I have had happen here before...I had a nice 8 point within 5 ft of me sitting in a ground blind one time, so I thought the worst in this hunt. Anyway, its one I will never forget.
Stacy

I have been similar situations before in the thick woods along the river. THose little critters can make you think the bull of the woods is slipping up on you.

I had one last weekend come up behind me on the levee which runs the length of the property I was hunting. I was hunting hogs and thought that one might have been trying to put the slip on me through the ditch. Well after some close examination of the area and some closer listeneing, I found the critter in a patch of greenvine about 10 feet from me. I leaned over and kicked the top of the vine cluster and as he jumped up and tried to get away, all he did was get his shell tangled up in the vines. Then he started the grunting noises like he was a little bear or something. Pretty funny to say the least.

Also had one crawl up to a fallen tree I was hunting one evening, and shove his face into a red ant bed. Didn't take but a second or two and he was pretty much covered up with them. I took pitty on him and grabbed him up, expecting him to try and squirm away. I guess he figured that what ever had him was going to be quicker and less painful than the ants and he just relaxed and I swiped him clear of the pest. It only took him a minute to scratch a few bites and slip on out after I put him down.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifWe always called them "PANIC HOGS" for just that reason. capt david

You are right, they barely see and are hard of hearing as well but they can smell. Their memory is less than a minute. If you chase one and stop, within a minute he will have forgotten you were there or why he was running. Some more facts that I find interesting since I live in the Texas Hill Country and am surrounded by them. All offspring from a single litter will be identical and will be all male or all female. Since they seem to be the only critter in the US that actively seeks out and eats fireants he was probably pretty upset when you rescued him from the ant bed. They handle water in one of three ways. Shallow water will find them walking on the bottom accross an inlet but they can swim great distances on the surface and can also swim like a fish thru the water. Yes they can carry Hansen's disease(human leprosy) but only rarely and they taste great cubed in a chile or BBQ. You hit on the only question I have ever had, how can they make more noise moving thru the woods than a herd of deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.