Dec. 2006 Coyote Calling Champions

Sendero_Man

Thought I'd start the new sub-forum out....

My calling partner and I won the 14th Annual Campbell County Coyote Calling Contest. Team 4 on top picture.

Held annually in Gillette, Wyoming. This year, there was 76 teams entered for the 2 day/2 night contest. We have been doing this contest for 6 years now. We placed fourth back a few years ago, but finally won it. We called in a total of 13 coyotes to win. $2622.00 for first place with the Calcutta money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sure made the wives happy too !

456168.jpg

456938.JPG

456394.jpg

There was a total of 149 Coyotes and 7 red fox taken over the weekend event. Lots of happy landowners and sheepherders !! All the fur money goes to Secret Santa program to help out the neeedy kids for X-mas... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey that's awesome! Especially that the $$ goes to kids.

Our local fish & game club does a similar shoot up here. Alot of people don't realize the impact predators can have on upland game populations in spring (for instance).

Good for you guys!

Thanks alot... Over the last 9 years, we have shot 43 coyotes on one ranchers place in the Powder River country. He said last fall, that he is seeing the good we are doing. He finally has a fawn crop in the fall and his calf loss is down to almost zero.

Plus, as an added bonus, we now how permission to come hunt deer on his place for a Thank You from him. And he has given us total control on the Predator hunting on his ranch. By the way, it is 67,640 acres.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We bagged 2 dogs and a ditch tiger off the river last weekend. This country is infested with them. I never do any good in the hunt. My partner wants to quit if he doesn't see anything in 10 minutes. How about this last snow?

we got over 27 inches here, still melting...

Looks like more snow the next 2 days. Interstate finally opened yesterday...

The wind was the worst part !!

Thats about what we got. By the time it melts we'll have that many inches of water. It might be awhile before we get out and burn powder again. Are you going to make it to the gun show in Billings? We will be there Friday and come home Sunday. The baby praire dogs should be out.

That's awesome! I think the winning number at the last local one was 14. I figured if I was gonna cheat I'd at least make it a believable number. This is a tough area. I'm sure they earned it. And I'll bet you earned that money too.

That's a lot of skinnin'!

to answer your questions,

1. 220 Swift and 25-06 Sendero

2. The Coyotegods would not return my calls.

I think they caught on that when the wind blows in Wyoming, we bring out the Sendero 7mm and 25-06 to lay them "Sacred Critters" to Rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thats aweseome. Congrats on being #1. Thats quite a pile of coyotes I would have to say. I wished we had snow like that around here, would make for better coyote hunting, thats for sure.

Congrats on the win. It looks like no one else was close.

We do a coyote derby @ work.. Me and my hunting partner won the first year and lost this year due to our own poor preparation.

Slopes Hunter where are you @. Sounds like it might be fun to bail into another derby.

Blygy

Nice going, it sure would be hard to get that many around here on a weekend, at least without dogs. I'm going to head out this weekend to finish the season unless some yote control is needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
By chance to you know a Leigh, that lives in Gillette? Our hunting crew stopped in to meet him along with his MRS when we were coming back from our antelope hunt near Casper. I know he's a member of a gun club out there.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.