Daughter’s First Deer

SmokinCrow

71841842310__7AF98306-1902-4B43-B5BB-8C0ED3C57FA6.jpeg

Pretty excited Dad here. Been struggling for many years to get my daughter to want to hunt with me. Last year I was able to shoot a small buck with her there and that helped peak her interest. She turned 12 and could hunt big game in Wyoming this year so we put her in for a Whitetail tag as thats what she wanted. Couldn't talk her into elk or antelope.

Got out this morning with her Grandpa and a cousin along for the ride. First thing in the morning I ended up getting the truck stuck at a crick crossing. Heavy rains had caused a lot of washout on the banks. As we got close to crossing we saw a few deer and I stopped. As I braked bank gave out and we got High centered.

I went to get help while kiddo and grandpa looked for deer. Unfortunately no deer in the morning. I went to find cell service and called a buddy for help. While waiting for him I had an opportunity to stalk a speed got and got to harvest a descent buck with my new 7 PRC that my dad rebarreled for me. 180 eld m performed flawlessly.

Took the speed goat to town to hang and grab lunch. Headed back out and saw a few deer that didn't present any opportunities and saw a few bull elk as well. Went for a hike to glass some hay fields we'd seen a few deer in earlier. Nothing was feeding out. Got back to the truck with 20 minutes of light and Grandpas tells us they saw some just behind the truck. Start stalking and they were gone, but I told my daughter to keep going. That's when we saw them. I put the tripod she set the 6.5 Creedmoor in steadied and let the 147 eld m fly. Humoed up and ran 30 yards. Super happy for her. She didn't care what she shot. Said if it's Brown it's Down. She's pretty excited now. Kinda wants ro chase elk with me now. I never would have thought getting stuck would have lead to such a great day, but it created a great day
IMG_4756.jpeg

View attachment 500043
Pretty excited Dad here. Been struggling for many years to get my daughter to want to hunt with me. Last year I was able to shoot a small buck with her there and that helped peak her interest. She turned 12 and could hunt big game in Wyoming this year so we put her in for a Whitetail tag as thats what she wanted. Couldn't talk her into elk or antelope.

Got out this morning with her Grandpa and a cousin along for the ride. First thing in the morning I ended up getting the truck stuck at a crick crossing. Heavy rains had caused a lot of washout on the banks. As we got close to crossing we saw a few deer and I stopped. As I braked bank gave out and we got High centered.

I went to get help while kiddo and grandpa looked for deer. Unfortunately no deer in the morning. I went to find cell service and called a buddy for help. While waiting for him I had an opportunity to stalk a speed got and got to harvest a descent buck with my new 7 PRC that my dad rebarreled for me. 180 eld m performed flawlessly.

Took the speed goat to town to hang and grab lunch. Headed back out and saw a few deer that didn't present any opportunities and saw a few bull elk as well. Went for a hike to glass some hay fields we'd seen a few deer in earlier. Nothing was feeding out. Got back to the truck with 20 minutes of light and Grandpas tells us they saw some just behind the truck. Start stalking and they were gone, but I told my daughter to keep going. That's when we saw them. I put the tripod she set the 6.5 Creedmoor in steadied and let the 147 eld m fly. Humoed up and ran 30 yards. Super happy for her. She didn't care what she shot. Said if it's Brown it's Down. She's pretty excited now. Kinda wants ro chase elk with me now. I never would have thought getting stuck would have lead to such a great day, but it created a great day View attachment 500044
Great job young lady, and you too dad and grandpa!