First Deer

Magnumdude

My little girl (11) got her first deer today! 70 yard shot (checked with my lazer range finder) with an NEF Ultra Slug Hunter topped with a Bushnell 3200 Elite. That IS long range for an 11 year old shooting a shotgun! PERFECT shot placement! She blew the heart up! If she'd have been competing in a 3-D tourney, she woulda cut the X-ring in half. It ran 20 yards and fell over, DRT (Dead Right There).

I'm one proud papa!

Magnumdude:

Congrats to you, and especially to your daughter, on her first deer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll bet you are one proud papa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Your kid's first animal is always a big event and it's one that you'll never forget. Sounds like maybe you have a new hunting partner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you've got any pics of the proud hunter and her deer post them so we can have something to go with your write up.

Congratulations, there is no better time in the field than sharing with your child. I am looking forward to another generation joining me. Ask your daughter if she would write us a story on her hunt, would sure enjoy reading her viewpoint.

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations to you & your daughter. She should be proud of such a fine shot & very grateful to her mentor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed! She kept her head down and rode out the recoil watching the deer through the scope - perfect follow through. I've had her shooting since she was 5. Her brother's a fair shot too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, there is no better time in the field than sharing with your child. I am looking forward to another generation joining me. Ask your daughter if she would write us a story on her hunt, would sure enjoy reading her viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Ian, I never thought of that! I'll ask her. She's quite a little writer too; does very well in school.

Congrats on the great hunt. It won't be long till my grandson is ready for his first try at it. I can tell you this, it is only his physical size that is holding him back. He ain't a big one at 5, but held up to shooting my Ruger Compact .308 with some reduced loads weekend before last. He only gave it three rounds, but hit the target with all three at 50 yds.

Yes have her write up a descriptive of the hunt. It would be great to hear the details from her perspective.

I big Congrats to your daughter and you. I will be taking my litle girl (12 years old and 5'8") out for her first hunt this week. Season opens tomorrow along with elk. We were just out watching a herd of deer in the field. All small buck. We have oever a month and I will try to get her to wait on a large but but will let her choose her own

It's hard to describe the pride and love I felt as I watched her do everything exactly as I taught her to do it. The result was a near perfect shot. What a RUSH.

That's great!!
On my way home from a silhouette match this weekend there was a young man in a car, looked about 12, holding a pic of himself with a deer, so I inched up as they were passing me to get another look and the dad saw me looking. So the young man held it to the window and said, it's my first deer. So I gave him a big thumbs up and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sure made a good ending for a good weekend.

These are the type of stories that fill my heart! What a pleasure it is to read this kind of stuff -- AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. Got any pic's? I'm taking my daughter down to the ranch in South Texas this coming weekend. We are going to check on everything & make sure they are a go for this hunting season. She is 6 and full of life! Reminds me to slow down alot of the time and enjoy life for what it is.... We'll sit in the blind and scout the deer, if a hog come out it will be our first experience on taking game.. Again thanks for sharing your story with your daughter...

CONGRATS to you BOTH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yes have her write up a descriptive of the hunt. It would be great to hear the details from her perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderful idea!

what about a hunting journal of their own?

Here's my Daughter's story in her words:

[ QUOTE ]
When my dad told me the idea that he would take me hunting I was so excited! He got me a new shotgun and even sighted it in for me. Occasionally we went shooting at my dad's friend's house. After taking me out shooting for a while it came around the time to go hunting. But I had to get a license first, so he signed me up for a hunter safety class. I passed the in flying colors. Then came the day of the first day of hunting. We got up at four in the morning and got nothing. So we went later that afternoon when I was more awake, but we got nothing. The last day was the last chance. Yet again we got up early except we brought my mom with us. We saw lots of deer but they were hard to shoot at so I didn't take the chance of missing. So we went home and came back out. If it weren't for my mom then I never would've gotten the deer. Out of all the deer I saw that one amazed me. It stood perfectly still as I moved over to aim at the deer. As I was aiming at the buck my dad whispered "Okay bitty, remember to follow through and don't look up until your shot is out." I aimed straight into the heart of the deer and BOOM! I saw the deer run away while I was looking through the scope. My mom suggested we track the deer. We went to where it was standing and followed a track of blood to the deer. From then on I was amazed I actually got one. Because I didn't think I would get a deer on my first hunting trip. Well, overall I had a blast and I'd love to do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.