Dad Suffocates Coyote That Attacked Child

New Hampshire dad suffocates coyote with bare hands after it attacked toddler

Fox News Flash top headlines for Jan. 20 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com

A hero New Hampshire father suffocated a coyote to death with his bare hands after the beast attacked his child on Monday, police said.

Ian O'Reilly was walking with his wife and three kids on a trail near Judes Pond in Kensington around 11 a.m. when the wild animal jumped out of the woods and grabbed the 2-year-old child by the jacket, cops said.

MOUNTAIN LION POUNCES ON CHILD, DAD FIGHTS BACK

BBZ9r8J.jpg

Authorities in New Hampshire posted this photo to warn about the coyote attack. (Kensington Police Department)

That's when "the dad went into protection mode," kicking the coyote before choking it, said Kensington Police Chief Scott Cain.

O'Reilly told local outlet WFXT that he was running on instinct and adrenaline when he wrestled the beast to the ground, eventually killing it after a 10-minute skirmish.

"There was no interest in it going away so ultimately I had to make the decision to become the aggressor and jumped on it, attacked it and was able to get it to the ground," O'Reilly said.

"When I was able to get on top of it I put my hand around its snout so it wasn't able to attack me anymore," he recalled.

"From there… I shoved [its] head into the snow… and then eventually was able to expire it through suffocation," he said. "Ultimately one hand on its windpipe and one hand on its snout did the trick."

The dad was bitten in the arm and chest and is being treated for rabies as a precaution. The animal didn't break the toddler's skin thanks to his heavy-duty snowsuit.
I've been through rabies treatment as well no fun great job though protecting your child and other people that coyote may have attacked in the future

There was a recent media report about a man choking a pt bull to death. It had apparently gone after a child and he wrapped his arm around the dog's neck and squeezed. He didn't want to get bit either, so he held on until he was sure he could safely back away.

My apologies to everyone, I've forgotten the media source, but am hoping someone can do a search on the incident. If I recall, there were at least some folks upset at the "cruelty" this man displayed in protecting a child and himself.

I haven't investigated it to the extent some have,however my many dealings with coyotes has taught me one thing.Their strength is very real ,several times a year I deal with them on my job as a first responder,we had one cornered in a garage,the homeowner closed the garage door when she spotted him in her garbage.We snared him with a noose used by our animal warden ,and it was hell to get him outside in the clear in order to dispatch him.Now anythings possible,just recently the extreme rash of coyote attacks has me a little wary before i buy into it. as I mentioned glad all is well that ended well.I'll research the story further,and draw a conclusion.Now how about the housecat that fought off three coyotes in an alley,I'm not buying it,just recently,story online.
The housecat is REAL. That one was caught on video. One badass puddy.

Dad fought off this cougar the other day then the cat took his backpack up the tree. We have more and more coyotes closer and more freView attachment 170775 quently jumping walls and eating pets that people are getting used to it.
https://ktla.com/2020/01/21/toddler...-mountain-lion-attack-at-o-c-wilderness-park/
The dad should sue the state of Ca. For letting the lions get out of control by sneaking an initiative in to a prop that past in the 1990's that puts moritorium on lion hunting. They are so overpopulated that they run of of deer to eat that they come into towns for a free meal. Humans have been attacked and killed in Ca.. The state pays trappers to kill them with taxpayer money. No, don't let the Game and fish control them and make money off tags. That would mean the evil hunters get to kill them. I posted story on here not long ago about what a game warden told me. The Ca. sacred animal is way out of control. With them and the coyotes it's no wonder why their deer herds are dwindling . Not to mention black bears and poachers .

I'm glad all turned out well,however i'm somewhat skeptical.just me i guess. Just seems every day now somebody is attacked and fought off a coyote with bare hands.

I haven't been hearing daily reports of coyote attacks and bare handed victories, maybe they're still more fearful where I live but this sounds more dramatic than the stories themselves to be honest. It often doesn't end up with the human coming out on top but there are multiple verified accounts of people fighting off and even killing creatures like bears and cougars without weapons, don't see any reason to be skeptical about a grown man (in protective father mode and jacked up on the adrenaline that having been attacked yourself provides) overpowering a single coyote. They're wily, fast, and stronger than they look but they're still a dog that rarely reaches even 50 pounds. Nothing hard to believe about this.

One reason why "pet" coons, or keeping any wild animal is illegal in this state. Maybe they should add poodles (and cats) to that list, ;).

Would hazard a guess the offending coyote in the story wasn't entirely healthy. "Superdad" might have not been so lucky with a strapping male 'yote in its prime.
One reason why "pet" coons, or keeping any wild animal is illegal in this state. Maybe they should add poodles (and cats) to that list, ;).

Would hazard a guess the offending coyote in the story wasn't entirely healthy. "Superdad" might have not been so lucky with a strapping male 'yote in its prime.

Regarding unhealthy...I think it's most wise indeed that they're treating this man for rabies as the weirdest thing about the story to me is that the coyote was all alone and attacked a kid who was with other people and not alone, and didn't flee when attacked by a much larger opponent. I do suspect rabies or the desperate kind of starvation which seems unlikely. In either possibility, glad the family is okay, and also glad that this animals suffering is over because it certainly does seem like there was something really not right there. People underestimate what even small animals can do...but they also underestimate what human beings are capable of when fighting like animals. A grown man determined to fight is not a "beast of the field" but certainly more of a force to be reckoned with even in nature than many think. Give him any basic tool or weapon, a stick even, and the odds start getting better in a hurry. There's a reason we are the dominant species on this planet, and have been so long long before we had guns or metal weapons or anything really. You say that things might have been different if "Superdad" was fighting a strapping male in his prime. On the flip side, in the majority of the stories I've heard in which a coyote or other smaller predator has killed a human, it's often been a child, a woman, or a senior person. In those cases we could say that things probably would have gone less well for the predator had their human target been a "strapping male in his prime"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.