Cutting edge 6 mm MTH 77 gr performance on game

graywolf

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this bullet on deer or antelope? Thinking about antelope with a .243 Win...

While I don't have experience with the 6mm variant; I have killed several animals with the 6.5mm 130grn MTH. I've found them to be extremely accurate and have experienced excellent results from 370yds to over 650. The nose cavity has always fragmented as designed and the base of the bullet has always exited.

I hope that helps.

t

Good to hear, thanks. What cartridge are you shooting?
I haven't been able to find a single comment anywhere on the 6mm 77 gr MTH. I am working up a load for it now for a new .243 Sako Carbonlight. Getting 3400 fps with Superformance, seems fast for a 20" barrel. I'm using a mid-range load from Barnes' loading data for the 80 gr TTSX.

I shot the 130 MTH out of a 6.5wsm. Speed wise, that doesn't sound too bad. Hodgdon lists >3500 with 75grn/Superformance in a 24" barrel. If I recall correctly, the CEB should have a shorter bearing surface due to design, which should help you in the velocity dept as well.

I feel a lot of folks are shying away from CEB due to cost. As you well know, those little pills are quite expensive compared to their "Conventional" counterparts. For hunting, I absolutely love them... Unfortunately, a range day where you throw +100 rounds at steel or rock get a little costly.

Make sure you let us know how they perform for you, good, bad or ugly.

t

Just to update, took a mule deer doe last week with the 77 gr MTH bullet at about 100 yds. The doe went a few yards and dropped. Didn't recover the bullet but it seems to have fragmented before the base exited, based on internal damage seen. This was my first season using CE bullets and they performed well in my limited sample of three animals. Agree about the price, but Lapua makes a 77 gr .243 bullet that serves as a pretty good practice bullet. If you want to use a monolithic bullet the MTHs are expensive but have significantly higher BCs than Barnes.

morning, I shoot the Lapua 77gr. scenear(sp) bullet in my
243AI. very very accurate bullet. have killed hogs with
this bullet. 5 shots in a .500. GBOT TUM

I get 3161 fps with the 77 gr MTH in a 16.5 inch barrel using h4831sc.
Haven't put it on game yet.

Glad to hear it worked In your short barrrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.