Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

I've heard from several sources that Nathan Dagley (Straight Shot Gunsmithing) in ND can Build a **** FINE Rifle for $3600 (sans optics)

I agree, the 4k range is about the cost of materials and labor to assembly at most reputable gunsmiths. I've also used some worked over 700's and savages with aftermarket barrels that shoot lights out for less than 2k. I have friends who cringe at spending more than $500 for a new rifle. I also know people who want turn key rifles as well and will pay for them. Something for everyone. I wish top end scopes weren't so expensive though.

you are paying for tv ads and to sponsor the tv shows for them and so on You can get an equal rifle built for 2/3 to 3/4 of the money depending how much bling you want that's with the optics also
Dude, our TV program has always paid for it's costs through other sponsors. The difference is we develop new stuff. I've seen these posts a hundred times. We're not the most expensive, we just offer an inclusive price that shocks the hell out of people!

I Love America!!! Only in America do we have freedom of free market, freedom to build a $12K rifle for sale and buy one if we want. The sad fact of this is that buying a $12k rifle makes one think it will outshoot a $3k-$5k rifle which we know is not the truth. Recently went to a long range weekend, two gentlemen showed up with their $12k rifles they bought along with long range training school. They were quite disappointed that their rifles with $75 a box ammo didn't come close to competing with other of us with our far less expensive rifles and our roll your own ammo. They learned that shooting well includes far more to the equation than a $12 rifle. (But have to admit, a $12k rifle is a good start!)

The other cool thing about this sport/hobby is that for the most part, the best components are readily available to everyone. The average Joe can acquire the same parts and services that the big dogs get. And the fact that the total range of price for really good to 'apex' in an action is the difference between $1000 and $1800, and barrels. Avg., barrel blank is around $350....same quality in Carbon is $700. If this were top fuel drag racing, or boating, the differences in price of things would be 'multi-exponential' ($20 word of the day)
I think that the home built gun will be the norm within 3 years.

Broz is extremely helpful to long range shooters, is extremely practiced and probably kills as many or more animals at long range as anyone else walking this earth.

you're reading into what they were saying. I have interacted with Jeff quite a bit with questions both good and dumb and he has never been a dbag. Time to pump the brakes.
You're right name calling isn't nice..

I've interacted with him as well, he's a know it all, arrogant, pushes products, and deletes posts on his site that challenge his opinions.
Call that whatever you want but it's the truth.

I think you should listen to it so you can here their words. I hate paraphrasing. I think They were mostly talking about people that just want one nice rifle, and instead of sinking 4 grand into a semi custom with crap resale or 4-5 grand into a custom and then 1k into reloading tools and spending 40 hours at the range trying to find a load data they could buy a kit rifle and be done from the start. And spend that 40 hours practicing with their rifle instead of load development.

Broz shoots multiple different full customs, and is an experienced reloader. He's not saying gunwerks are better, was just saying there is a place for a rifle ready to hit the ground running so the owner can actually practice with the thing instead of dumping time and money into getting it set up to shoot one day.

people take everything so serious and feel attacked when people say something they don't like now.

Where do I here that?

i get what they are selling, but they are not selling what The David Miller Company, D'Arcy Echols, etc are selling. They are not selling what Rigby, H&H, etc are selling.

I guess my point is $12500 is 3x what GAP is. GAP builds a great rifle. They have a big name. They use known premium components. GAP guarantees 0.25 moa @100 yds with factory ammo. I'm not even sure that is possible in what they build! IMO, a rail gun would have a hard time shooting factory fodder into 0.25".

i do still want to hear what they say.

Changing parts gives lots of flexibility at low cost. Savage 110 barrel can be changed in about 10 minutes from a 22-250 to 35 Whelen. Take 10 more minutes to change the bolt face to magnum and you can screw in a 300WM, 338WM, 300RUM, EDGE, 375RUM or even a 416/300 RUM, all with the same stock, rail, trigger and scope. Buy a S-P Precision stock for a bull barrel (all the lesser barrels will fit, Put a rail on the action and change scopes in just a few minutes. Could buy a new Nightforce scope but I am happy with my ancient Weaver K4 on my 416. OR you can spend a fortune on one gun at a time. I don't own a big gold Rolex either... Choices.

Counterpoint... for the people who buy Gunwerks (or similar) rifles, it's probably the least expensive part of the entire equation.
Dont get me wrong Gunwerkss makes the nices rifles so does Fierce.. but the price for a rifle like that to hunt just a little overwhelming.. a good factory rifle and learning the gun is just as good.. affordable and enjoyable
You buy a custom rifle today, you cant afford to go hunting afterwards

I admire the turnkey system marketing and I admit I enjoy the tv long range hunting rifle companies put on. The bit about loading and testing, resonates. I drive 2 hours each way to a range, and then shooting time for testing, loading, and time in front of quick load or the internet to figure out loads, it all adds up. For someone who works by time is money, then this resonates.

That said, it's not for me, reloading and shooting are hobbies and ways to de-stress and get away from work and work ideas. Last year, I shot out two centerfire barrels, this year, I might have shot 1000 rounds total, including .22, but I've got almost that much loaded waiting for consistent range time, and matches to restart.

Also, as mentioned before, the folks I met who have been running turnkey set-ups seem to rely on the setup. They haven't impressed me with their understanding of what goes into a firing solution, nor have I been overly impressed by their shooting ability.

This is why we have options some folks like gas guns, some folks like matches, some hunting, some bolt guns, or lever, or a combination of any of these and more. I'm glad the company has found a marketing niche and in a way expanded the sport. I do wish more would go into practice, the wind switches too fast, and the terrain is unpredictable.

Dude, our TV program has always paid for it's costs through other sponsors. The difference is we develop new stuff. I've seen these posts a hundred times. We're not the most expensive, we just offer an inclusive price that shocks the hell out of people!
So why is it better?

To be fair, most of your rifles would fall into the $9k-$11k range. Another thing that should be pointed out is you seem to have in stock high end product that you could sell me today. Maybe you have matching ammo. To some folks, that covers much of the price gap, but I would rather hear this from you.

With all the calibers out there that do different things with. You need a deep pocket for a $12,000.00 rifles, and more power to those that can afford that. I have had several rifles built, but nothing in the $12,000.00 prices. Worked on friends rifles developing loads for them. Reworked stocks, and bedded actions, and had triggers changed out. I work on loads to acheive very accurate, and velocity of 3200+ fps. Now I am not shooting 1200 yards and haven't gotten into that. Higher twist barrels to shoot heaver bullets. I can see where they are going. My hats off to them. The bottom line is hand loading your cases for that one rifle. Now I have found that generally the make up of the load seen to be able to transfer to rifles of the same case in even different rifles. It's not a 100%, but close. The fun for me is developing loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.