Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

Broz is extremely helpful to long range shooters, is extremely practiced and probably kills as many or more animals at long range as anyone else walking this earth.

you're reading into what they were saying. I have interacted with Jeff quite a bit with questions both good and dumb and he has never been a dbag. Time to pump the brakes.

i didn't hear it... how is their rifle a better deal at $7000?

This is the issue. Turnkey rifles are not a better deal. They quickly become a company finding people to sell them name parts at a lower rate. Well, a lower rate gets you.....hey this bore looks kinda funky.....oh, put it in that rack. They pay less for our barrels and it probably still shoots.

Or this receiver feels rough with every bolt....just find a bolt that fits in it and put it with those actions over there. They pay much less for our action.

When you are selling to a sole proprietor who has to answer for that one rifle that doesn't shoot, they are much more careful that every gun is best quality work.

Last edited:
i didn't hear it... how is their rifle a better deal at $7000?
I think you should listen to it so you can here their words. I hate paraphrasing. I think They were mostly talking about people that just want one nice rifle, and instead of sinking 4 grand into a semi custom with crap resale or 4-5 grand into a custom and then 1k into reloading tools and spending 40 hours at the range trying to find a load data they could buy a kit rifle and be done from the start. And spend that 40 hours practicing with their rifle instead of load development.

Broz shoots multiple different full customs, and is an experienced reloader. He's not saying gunwerks are better, was just saying there is a place for a rifle ready to hit the ground running so the owner can actually practice with the thing instead of dumping time and money into getting it set up to shoot one day.

people take everything so serious and feel attacked when people say something they don't like now.

If you keep your eyes open there are some awesome guns that are used for very reasonable prices on here and other sites. I finally purchased a Lane Precision 28 Nosler from a regular on here, 68 rounds through it with custom rounds and development. I'm impressed with it and my justification is I quit chewing 20 years ago and at $6-$7 a can I give myself a gift sometimes. My nephews and I hunt together, were best friends and we all have fun.

I just saw a new release of a highbred big game rifle from probably THE big boys in the industry . The cost including a 2500.00$ optic is 12500.00$ . I have done my fair share of buying things that I knew were a bit out of the ( practical or common sense range ) because I just wanted it but not to the tune of 12500.00 lol !! To be clear I'm sure it comes with 100 rounds of custom ( tuned ) Ammo for it and we all know the work that goes into that although the load development is the steepest on the first ( set up ) then after that it's probably a little more cookie cutter . I'll be the first to admit these are some of the baddest rifles to ever hit the planet and the detail and designs are AMAZING for sure! I feel a custom build with a premium barrel , stock , trigger , action and optic around 5-6 k is ( fair ) but I also have some factory rifles with a proper tuned load that shot at .250 or better . One in particular I have is a .093 5 shot group at 100 yard and it holds that moa pretty close to 800 so far , I knew they shot well but I'm still on cloud 9 with that one and I promise, that's not the norm for me on factory guns !!
I know these factory rifles most likely will walk significantly more threw a 20 shot string then these premium guns will of course but for most hunting rifles that's not necessarily going to be needed . I have set up several rifles for friends that just want a hunting gun with factory Ammo . I set one rem 700 up with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 and found THE factory Ammo that it liked ! On most of these projects I'm able to find Ammo that will shoot .500 or better all for 1800.00$ and it just about holds that all the way to 800. I'm not poking at custom builders ,it is a true art , I'm just asking what your feelings are towards these 10-12000.00$ guns and where the future is headed ( and I'm not talking about 50 bmg or 375 cheytac type guns) With all the modern machining practices, factory rifles have came a long way for sure ! I think we are going to see a swing in the market for gun builders to produce a gun that is a (budget) version . I think these are selling now because of the craze we are in now kinda like in 2008 when desil pickups were grocery getters during that craze that blew up , then desil hit 5.00$ gallon in Comifornia and they were dumped quick ! Is it just me or are these prices crazy ..... but soooo bad a** of a rifle !!

Absurd as it may seem, that may not be that expensive for their target audience. An Anderson Wheeler Express Double Rifle can go for that and more.

I like to collect parts and send to GAP or Jon Beanland.

That's exactly what I did in early February. I had a Bighorn TL3, Manners EH1, Krieger barrel, Hawkins bottom metal, and Geissele 2 stage trigger. GAP is doing the full build at a very reasonable price. I used a discount code at Brownells for the action and trigger, and with GAP's build charge, I'll have just over $3700 into the complete rifle. That includes all the parts, pillar bedding, chambering and muzzle threads w/protector, and cerakote. I have a Leupold Mk5 3.6-18 ready to mount. So I'll be all in with rifle, scope, and rings for around $5500. I just can't imagine paying twice that for a "G*******". Not bashing them. I really like their carbon stocks, but I'm not sure the value is there when you can get a custom with all top of the line parts for half the price.

I just saw a new release of a highbred big game rifle from probably THE big boys in the industry . The cost including a 2500.00$ optic is 12500.00$ . I have done my fair share of buying things that I knew were a bit out of the ( practical or common sense range ) because I just wanted it but not to the tune of 12500.00 lol !! To be clear I'm sure it comes with 100 rounds of custom ( tuned ) Ammo for it and we all know the work that goes into that although the load development is the steepest on the first ( set up ) then after that it's probably a little more cookie cutter . I'll be the first to admit these are some of the baddest rifles to ever hit the planet and the detail and designs are AMAZING for sure! I feel a custom build with a premium barrel , stock , trigger , action and optic around 5-6 k is ( fair ) but I also have some factory rifles with a proper tuned load that shot at .250 or better . One in particular I have is a .093 5 shot group at 100 yard and it holds that moa pretty close to 800 so far , I knew they shot well but I'm still on cloud 9 with that one and I promise, that's not the norm for me on factory guns !!
I know these factory rifles most likely will walk significantly more threw a 20 shot string then these premium guns will of course but for most hunting rifles that's not necessarily going to be needed . I have set up several rifles for friends that just want a hunting gun with factory Ammo . I set one rem 700 up with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 and found THE factory Ammo that it liked ! On most of these projects I'm able to find Ammo that will shoot .500 or better all for 1800.00$ and it just about holds that all the way to 800. I'm not poking at custom builders ,it is a true art , I'm just asking what your feelings are towards these 10-12000.00$ guns and where the future is headed ( and I'm not talking about 50 bmg or 375 cheytac type guns) With all the modern machining practices, factory rifles have came a long way for sure ! I think we are going to see a swing in the market for gun builders to produce a gun that is a (budget) version . I think these are selling now because of the craze we are in now kinda like in 2008 when desil pickups were grocery getters during that craze that blew up , then desil hit 5.00$ gallon in Comifornia and they were dumped quick ! Is it just me or are these prices crazy ..... but bad a** of a rifle !!
Fancy and expensive does not make one a Good Shot. Practice with what you have and learning your gun makes you good. I love all these guys that keep looking for that Magic gun that will hit the target for them. Keep spending your money on stuff you don't need. Learn to shoot what you have.

I know these factory rifles most likely will walk significantly more threw a 20 shot string then these premium guns will of course but for most hunting rifles that's not necessarily going to be needed . I have set up several rifles for friends that just want a hunting gun with factory Ammo . I set one rem 700 up with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 and found THE factory Ammo that it liked ! On most of these projects I'm able to find Ammo that will shoot .500 or better all for 1800.00$ and it just about holds that all the way to 800. I'm not poking at custom builders ,it is a true art , I'm just asking what your feelings are towards these 10-12000.00$ guns and where the future is headed ( and I'm not talking about 50 bmg or 375 cheytac type guns) With all the modern machining practices, factory rifles have came a long way for sure ! I think we are going to see a swing in the market for gun builders to produce a gun that is a (budget) version . I think these are selling now because of the craze we are in now kinda like in 2008 when desil pickups were grocery getters during that craze that blew up , then desil hit 5.00$ gallon in Comifornia and they were dumped quick ! Is it just me or are these prices crazy ..... but soooo bad a** of a rifle !!
You buy a custom rifle today, you cant afford to go hunting afterwards.

I think we all know that the gunwerks stuff is overpriced by now. Do they build a decent product, I believe they do but it's not for everyone. My smith is well know and a hell of a guy that treats people very fair if not too generously. Good components are not cheap but can be had at a far lesser price than the above mentioned product. I'd say it's up to the individual to pick and choose what he or she likes and pursue those goods and services from a reputable builder. I'm sure they have customers that love those rifles but I love mine also and sleep a little better at night still knowing I can have what I have and still have a little bit of fun money leftover.

Way to much by a cooper and great optics spend 5000.00 just as accurate then by a great hunt with the difference

I think you're dead on. People spending that kind of money are in a different demographic and have different requirements. For them, it's a measuring stick more than tool. When that demographic sits around a campfire, I imagine the convo going like this:

"Did you see xx car I just bought for $250k? This rifle just cost $10k."

Next hunting trip, the other guy buys a rifle for $12.5k. Then, the cycle continues.

People buy Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and Ferrari. Not because they are better than my Toyota, in fact they aren't. They can, so they do. I have some very accurate rifles. I even contend that most production rifles out shoot most shooters. We sometimes talk about sub- moa and all the accessories but what about the shooter. We are the big flaw. Add a trigger or float a barrel, all kinds of options. But you can't beat good shooting From a good shooter...practice is worth more then the $12k gun. I think $12k for a rifle and good scope is ridiculous, but there are folks who want them and love them. As far as load development, I'm guessing if you are on this forum, you want to.. and enjoy doing your own. Simple answer:"to each their own"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.