custom pistol

screech

I was just pondering the idea of getting an custom action from lawton or bat for a pistol. Can the legally do it? I was hoping one of the guys on here with a ffl license would know.

You know that would be cool , The Lawson is like a Remington. So would it fit into a Mc Millian stock. 15" to 18" barrel , would save on Truing and Squaring the action.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as the action has never been assembled as a rifle, then, yes, it's legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no expert but I believe that is incorrect.
I think it is what the serial no. was originally recorded as.
You would very likely never get checked, but if you did I don't think it would be good.
If your serious about doing it I would just give Barney a call (406) 683-2388 to be safe.

Are you refering to Bat Machine Actions? give me an idea as to why they would be illegal in the first place and I can tell you if ATF would allow them. From looking at the action it isnt anything different, just custom made, correct? So as far as you buying the action and having it assembled by a licensed maker, there shouldnt be a problem. If it is assembled by a non ATF manufacturer, then there would be a problem. I think this is correct, I havent studied my FFL manual in a while, so someone correct me if Im wrong.
Stacy

The action must be registered by the manufacturer as a rifle or a pistol. I read a thread somewhere about Kelby making thier cub actions and they use a completely different SN range just to be sure. Just call one of the action makers and they can clear this up. I am not 100% but a email or call to kelby or BAT should clear it up.

Screech

The answer is NO.

The ATF requires that if the barrel is less than 16"
you must use a action that was used or intened to be used
as a pistol only and so identified (XP 100,ect)

But you can make one with a rifle action with a 16" or 18" long barrel depending on the state you live in and call it a carbine.

Check your state laws on this before you get of in a can of worms.

J E CUSTOM

You guys need to study your firearms laws a bit better!

As long as the action has never been used in the assembly of a rifle, it can be used to build a pistol, PERIOD!

A manufacturer can sell an action as part of a rifle, part of a pistol or as a bare action. The legal status of a new action is determined by how it is first assembled. If you first put it together as a rifle, it must always remain a rifle, but, if it is first assembled as a handgun, then it is legally a handgun! I can promise you when Remington ships bare actions to a wholesaler like Brownells, the manifest WON'T list them as rifles, it will list them as actions!

Furthermore, it is perfectly legal (under federal law) for a person, with no federal firearms license of any kind, to buy a new bare action and assemble it as either a handgun or a rifle. No manufacturer's license is needed. It is also perfectly legal (under federal law) for a person, with no firearms manufacturer's license of any kind, to build a rifle or handgun in his garage, out of raw materials, as long as that firearm is built to legal standards (barrel length etc) and is not built for resale. (http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1 A6)

These are facts, not "I think" or "I heard" or "my dealer said". This information is out there, it just requires a little research, and, forget about calling your local FFL or even you local BATF agent, these folks typically don't know the law. If you want the correct answer to technical firearms questions, call or write the Technical Branch of the BATF, that's what they do. They will research the question and send you the answer in writing, including reference to the specific laws that apply.

Still don't believe me???

Read this and pay specific attention to the 4th paragraph of the BATF letter.
BATF Technology Branch Letter

For those too lazy to click the link, it says:

[ QUOTE ]
If an individual were to obtain a rifle type receiver that had not previously been utilized in the assembly of a rifle, a handgun could be made and not be subject to the provisions of the NFA. Verification must be obtained from the manufacturer of the receiver to establish its authenticity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to tell me I'm wrong, please back it up with PROOF!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.