Pistol?

I vaguely remember something about being able to go one way but not the other. Maybe you can make a rifle from a pistol action, e.g., XP-100. Anyway, that doesn't matter much with me because I would buy a complete pistol from a smith.

I am thinking I would want as long and heavy a barrel as possible, with some small and efficient cartridge. I am thinking it would be a bolt gun with a custom barrel. (Is a factory XP-100 worth considering?)

Anyone know a good source? All I know of is the XP-100, but I see other guns listed that I am not familar with in Sierra's manual: Wichita, MOA, for example.

Scott

XP's (center-grip singleshot / dog-leg bolt handle) is my favorite.
Here is the web site for MOA.
http://www.moaguns.com/products2.htm

MOA w/17 inch 6.5-284
350329.jpg

THe wichita is primarily a sillywet gun but can be used for hunting. H-S Precision makes in essence customized XP's in a # of cartridges.
Kirby (fiftydriver)is currently building me a LR XP (7mm Dakota)and I have had several other smiths build me extremely accurate one too.

Beezaur,

If a receiver is registered by the manufacture by its serial number as a "rifle receiver", it can not be legally made into a handgun. These receivers are listed at rifle receivers long before we get them as consumers so this is not possible legally as far as the ATF is concerned.

May be possible with a class III but thats a hell of an expense to pay to use a rifle action for a handgun!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks, guys.

I gather that Remington no longer makes XP-100s? I called HS Precision just now. They seem to have pretty much what I want in their 2000 VP: mid grip, 15" bbl in 6BR, everything stainless.

But . . . delivery time is 4 to 6 MONTHS.

Yikes! I was hoping to be well on my way to deciding of single shot pistols were for me, and selling or keeping, by that time.

I am looking at the Burris 3-12x handgun scope. It looks like it is parallax adjustable? I see that Burris will install target knobs for a fee. Anyone tried that?

Scott

4 to 6 months isn't to bad. I waited over a year for my last HS. The increase in cost is what is so bad now.
hshunter

4-6 months isn't long in the big picture.
Rem. no longer makes XP's (orig. or the newer XP-100R, which is a model 7 action).

The 3-12 LEr does have paralax adj., and you can add target turrets. You can purchase the 3-12 with turrets also.
You can't order it with turrets and the ballistic plex reticle though. If you know you want turrets I would order the one with turrets then send it in to have the BP reticle put in.
I have several that already had the BP reticle, that I sent in and had an elev. turret only added.

Here's a couple custom XP's that Ernie and i used in the ITRC to compete with back in '04. Both 6.5-284's.

Ernie took the long-range part of the course there, and he ran 10 in a row on 5 8" discs between 585 and 685 yards.My next rig is gonna be a heavy center-grip 6.5 WSM that's gonna be built strictly for long-range coyote sniping. It's got a full bull 9 twist 18" Shilen, and will have the 8.5-25X Leupold LR/TMR reticle/tgt. elevation turret only. Here's another pic of my Savage Striker 243 WSSM/4.5-14X Leupold LR/VH reticle/tgt. elevation turret--

Another good stock option for the centergrip XP is McMillan's.

Have you decided to go with H-S in a 6BR?

You will lose about 200 fps with a SP compared to rifle in same chambering.
A question that needs to be asked is, will that bullet out of a 6BR perform well @ 500 yards and beyond to down a coyote?

[ QUOTE ]
So, you can use a rifle action to build a pistol?

No, but you can use a "stripped" or "registered pistol" action to build a pistol. Just make sure that when you do the transfer paperwork, it is NOT registered as a rifle receiver.

What are the rules regarding weight, length, etc., before you start getting into Class III weapons?

There are none. Length and weight rules were part of the AWB which has sunsetted. You may NOT put a vertical foregrip on it, and you may NOT affix a stock to it. Otherwise, have fun. All is legal as shown.

And, technically, it wouldn't be a Class III firearm, it would be an "Any Other Weapon" firearm if it had a short barrel and a stock, or was built from a rifle receiver. Then it needs to be registered as an SBR, which requires the paperwork plus $200.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to www.AR15.COM and look under pistol builds to get a link to the actual ATF letter which acknowledges the legality of this.

beezaur, here is one of my LR handguns, it is a 300 WSM/muzzle brake.
My choice is the HS's however you can't beat a customized XP. Xphunter and sscoyote are your best bet for info on the custom XP's.
hshunter (nmhunter)
here is the pic of my latest ,the 300 WSM

I like the looks of your gun. What is it? Also has anyone shot any of the savage strikers. What kind of accuracy do you guys get. Any problems with them?

The last Pic is a H-S pistol (made by H-S Precision).
The strikers typical have great accuracy from .25.75 accuracy from the box.
Weakness, some have terrible triggers. They can be worked on and Basix makes a replacement for them.
Best 100 yard accuracy for my XP (6.5-284) is 4-shot group is .078 and @ 600 yards (same XP) four shots 1.5 inches.

I am thinking HS Precision in 6mm BR, maybe shooting a Hornady 75-gr V-Max. That wait is a tough one though. I might get a T/C Encore in .223 in the mean time.

I have never killed anything with a .223. What is the max. effective range given your choice of bullet in something like an Encore? Running some numbers through Infinity it looks like the bullets start to go transonic around 600 yards.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.