Custom build cost ?

reloaderlen

I'm ready to have a rifle built . I have everything I think as far as parts
Rem 700 mag action ,Heart barrel #4 contour , Hollands lug ,Jewell trigger,pillars McMillan stock
May add a break . I have had custom builds before but the only thing I supplied was the stock and action. What do you guy's charge to blueprint and assemble, pillar and glass bed a custom rifle ? Thanks Len

I'm ready to have a rifle built . I have everything I think as far as parts
Rem 700 mag action ,Heart barrel #4 contour , Hollands lug ,Jewell trigger,pillars McMillan stock
May add a break . I have had custom builds before but the only thing I supplied was the stock and action. What do you guy's charge to blueprint and assemble, pillar and glass bed a custom rifle ? Thanks Len

Best is to ask the gunsmith directly who is going to perform the work you require but here's from one of the site sponsors (Kevin Cram) to get a general idea ...

Montour County Rifles

Most riflesmiths/gunsmiths prices are pretty close to MCRs prices, give or take. Just because you have "all the parts" doesn't mean you should have a super quick turnaround time. Most all, who do good work have some backlog. I'd beware of one who can "start on it as soon as he has the parts". Make sure whoever you choose has a FFL, most "wanna-bes" don't... And lately, I'm seeing way too much "wanna-be" type work, that doesn't work like it should.

Thanks Guy's
I moved to Mississippi a few years ago and really don't know of a good one here . When I ask around at the local gun shops for a good smith they look at me silly and say well it just depends on what you want. From what I can tell none are good at a complete build but rather this or that . I will make the drive back to Texas my home state where I know of several good smiths that I have had work done buy ,unless I am referred to someone here . I have plenty of time to wait for quality! Thanks again Guy's

BTW both of my last two builds this year cost me less than $700 at the gunsmith with shipping/insurance both ways. Turn around time was under 3 weeks door to door. One was a competition gun that is a hammer and other is hunting rifle that I have not got to test yet.

One was custom action and other was trued 700 I had purchased years ago and found it back in the safe when cleaning it out. :) I am not a fan of trued 700s especially for magnums, but someone else paid for the truing and it was standard bolt face. My smith confirmed truing was good and ready to barrel first thing. All I had to pay for was bedding, chambering, crown, threading, small parts, minor fitting and shipping and insurance back.

I get all my own parts and call him and might have to hold off a couple weeks before sending them to him. One wait was 30 days before sending the parts.

You are way better off getting your own parts IF you know exactly what you want then sending everything to the smith when he is ready to build instead of waiting a year for a stock or barrel to come in. Today, almost any action, stock and barrel is available within 1-2 months max on the internet. Other than that you are simply looking for trigger, bottom metal, base and minor parts that are readily available. I always get my own reamer and that can be 30-60 days if it is a custom.

I used Dixie precision in Brandon ms and they did a really good job on my 22-250. You can look them up on the internet. The blue printed my action put on a Krieger 1-9 bedded, my action and put cerakote on for me. The only problem I have had is I have not had time to finish working the loads up.

Beware of Dixie Precision's turn around time estimates. They told me that it would take 6 weeks to complete a barreled action only. After numerous phone calls and a dozen more broken promises, I got my barreled action right at 7 months.

I recommend that You talk to several Gunsmiths and even go and visit them if you can.

Talk about what you want and expect and you should get a feel for the one you want to use.

Don't let the price make you decision.(Cheaper may not be better) A smith that has a reputation for meeting the schedules/deadlines is normally one that can be trusted.

Most important don't pay all the money up front (The smith has no incentive to finish on time)
Half the labor and all of the parts he has to buy is a reasonable payment.

J E CUSTOM

Whatever it cost, if they do a good job, it is worth it.

I have been building a custom rifle for myself because I thought it would be fun. I had the barrel threaded and chambered but I am doing the rest of the work.

Nothing fits, and I mean nothing. Every part I have has needed something done to it to make it fit. This has been a fun and I've learned a lot from it. If I would have worked at what I normally work at for the amount of time I have worked on this rifle, and saved that money plus what I've spent on various tools and supplies, I could have paid a Gunsmith to assemble 5 rifles. I'm not done yet but I'm gaining.

Thanks JE and Edd
You both are so right !
Times have changed and everyone wants the most for the least . I have had customs built in the past and have bought some used customs . We all want a accurate rifle
And being OCD when it comes to shooting I want more than acceptable. I have bought the best and received the least and have paid the least and revived the most . I only own accurate rifles because I don't keep the rest lol I have bought and tuned , hand loaded many new rifles and passed them on to new owners because they would only shoot a one inch group . My wife hates me . I can't buy enough and only one out of 5 I keep . I purchased one of those tack drivers that you see on tv , that shoot a mile. Lol nice rifle but not worth the money. If I just wanted to hit a 24 in steel plate at 1000 yards that would be fine but I would have saved some money I have plenty of rifles that will do that. I want to shoot Golf balls at a 1000 . Lol It sold really fast.
All of that to say a ugly rifle built right is worth more than a beautiful rifle built shotty any day !

Whatever it cost, if they do a good job, it is worth it.

I have been building a custom rifle for myself because I thought it would be fun. I had the barrel threaded and chambered but I am doing the rest of the work.

Nothing fits, and I mean nothing. Every part I have has needed something done to it to make it fit. This has been a fun and I've learned a lot from it. If I would have worked at what I normally work at for the amount of time I have worked on this rifle, and saved that money plus what I've spent on various tools and supplies, I could have paid a Gunsmith to assemble 5 rifles. I'm not done yet but I'm gaining.

It's almost masochistic isn't it. lol...

I know you said you used guys in Texas. I'll just toss a name in the mix Compton Custom Rifles in Crawford Texas. That guy knows his stuff and the turnaround time I thought was super fast (about 4 weeks). Also the best priced gunsmith I found anyplace on the web. He also has a website and Facebook page if you want to look up his work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.