Custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird

I had an opportunity to shoot one of these probably 15 years ago. This was before I had gotten into centerfire rifles and all I knew was it was a big cartridge that kicked hard. It was built off a sako action, and I wish I could shoot it again having some appreciation of it.

I had an opportunity to shoot one of these probably 15 years ago. This was before I had gotten into centerfire rifles and all I knew was it was a big cartridge that kicked hard. It was built off a sako action, and I wish I could shoot it again having some appreciation of it.
They are great guns

I wouldn't give up on it. A defiance with ultra mag rails and Lapua bolt face, a good barrel of your choice, stock and bottom metal and yih are off to the races. Lazzeroni has always had brass available. The Warbird with a 165 Accubond has been great dessert mike deer medicine.

I wouldn't give up on it. A defiance with ultra mag rails and Lapua bolt face, a good barrel of your choice, stock and bottom metal and yih are off to the races. Lazzeroni has always had brass available. The Warbird with a 165 Accubond has been great dessert mike deer medicine.
You know what, you're right, I've always wanted this gun and I'm gonna make it happen!

Building a custom Warbird would be awesome as you get to hand pick your parts. But don't overlook the ability of the factory Sako/Warbird combo. I bought mine about 10 years ago and it is by far the best performing / most accurate rifle I own and my go to for large game. Last year when I zeroed before hunting season it shot .375 MOA (I zero mine at 300).

The factory radial brake it came with did a good job of taming recoil, but when I purchased a suppressor it was a total game changer. It improved accuracy and made the rifle an absolute pleasure to shoot. The factory Sako stock is total garbage, I upgraded to a McMillan. It fit perfectly, shot well and didn't require bedding. These actions are sensitive to torque so you have to be sure to use a torque wrench when tightening the action screws. I shoot a 185g. Berger VLD at 3400 fps. John was very helpful when I was working up my load and gave me good advice along the way. He is very personable and likes to help people working with his calibers. I don't have any brass I would consider "newer" and primer pockets loosening is an issue, but I work with it.

Either way you go, this caliber is real hot rod and an interesting deviation from the more "run of the mill" performance cartridges.

Attachments

• 20190804_080602.jpg
    20190804_080602.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 201
Has anybody ever built a custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird. I'm interested in this round and as a hypothetical I wanna know if someone has ever built one and how they did it, what receiver, barrel, and stock did you use? I'm aware that it isn't the best round but I'm not worried about that right now.
I would just go with something similar like a 30 Wolf. 338 lap necked down blown out and imp and you'd have lap brass

buy the xc dies and 33xc brass from tubbs the dies do 33, 37 and 41 xc , we neck down 33xc brass to 30 cal no fire forming and make a bushing for the dies to give the correct neck tension , that way you can build any rifle of the xc family manson made our reamer