Custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird

jstreater69

Has anybody ever built a custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird. I'm interested in this round and as a hypothetical I wanna know if someone has ever built one and how they did it, what receiver, barrel, and stock did you use? I'm aware that it isn't the best round but I'm not worried about that right now.

Many people complain about it being a barrel burner and the brass being crap. Personally I haven't had that experience which is why I'm asking about building one. The ballistics are insanely good.

Barrels are a consumable item like tires on a car. The early brass was soft I guess but the newer stuff is supposed to be good.

I looked into this when I designed my own 338 wildcat on the 416 Rigby case, as the Lazzeroni case is the same size.
I got good info from it, but getting brass into Australia was going to be a PITA, so I went with my own design.
The Lazzeroni brass offered is very strong, it would mirror the strength of the Peterson 338XC brass available today.
Unfortunately for me, I had to go with Norma brass as that was all I could get and after 3 firings the brass is toast.
I think you will struggle if you want to build on a Rem 700 action, as it has been noted that lug setback is a real concern with a .588" case head.
Mine is built on a highly modified CZ550 Safari action and is single shot only.
I am looking at building another rifle on a Borden, either 338 Lapua Improved 35° or 33XC, still unsure. Need the better brass.

You will like the Lazzeroni, I remember the first write up on them in Rifleshooter magazine.

Cheers.

I looked into this when I designed my own 338 wildcat on the 416 Rigby case, as the Lazzeroni case is the same size.
I got good info from it, but getting brass into Australia was going to be a PITA, so I went with my own design.
The Lazzeroni brass offered is very strong, it would mirror the strength of the Peterson 338XC brass available today.
Unfortunately for me, I had to go with Norma brass as that was all I could get and after 3 firings the brass is toast.
I think you will struggle if you want to build on a Rem 700 action, as it has been noted that lug setback is a real concern with a .588" case head.
Mine is built on a highly modified CZ550 Safari action and is single shot only.
I am looking at building another rifle on a Borden, either 338 Lapua Improved 35° or 33XC, still unsure. Need the better brass.

You will like the Lazzeroni, I remember the first write up on them in Rifleshooter magazine.

Cheers.
Thanks, I would prefer a 700 action or a Weatherby, I know someone with a warbird and the thing is a shooter for sure

Yea that's what I heard, people crap on the round but I really see no huge issues, plus the good out weights the bad

People crap on things that; A - they can't afford, B - didn't think of themselves, and C - beats everything they have designed themselves.

John came with light and fast while heavy and high BC was popular...but things have changed a lot the last few years and the Lazzeroni rounds are at the very top of performance, especially for not being a wildcat.