Custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird

A good friend has had one for year's. It's his favorite gun for hunting large game. He only uses it for hunting and the original barrel is holding up fine. It still shoots 1 MOA to a little better. He doesn't hand load so I load them for him. I anneal the cases and have had no problems with the brass after several loadings except for the primer pockets. On about half his cases the pockets are slowly expanding, some faster than others. Each time I load, I have to discard about 5% of his cases because the pockets are too loose. I think he bought the gun shortly after it came out and was buying shells as he needed them over a number of years. I saw someone said the early brass wasn't great and later brass is better. That may be why some are loosening up and some are holding up okay. Sending large bullets down range at varmint bullet speed does make for great ballistics!

Sorry if this sounds really dumb but what caliber should I buy the action in to make the modification as easy as possible? I not very educated on that side of things, I know ballistics better
Cant beat the cz 550 for this conversion. The weatherby is also a gr8 action for this. But then u might just consider the 300/378 weatherby. Its pretty much a ballistic clone, but i like you would prefer the beltless lazzeroni.

I would not hesitate to buy a Sako 995 Warbird. I have had several 995's in 7STW (7), 30-378(2), and 25-06(4). All of them would shoot 3 shots that measured under 5/8" at 100 yards off sand bags. All had factory trigger pulls under 3lbs. Would show people the targets and they would buy the gun. Kept the last STW and 25-06.

I shot 1000 yard BR in the 90s with a guy who had one. He won more than anyone else at our range. He shot sierra 240 grain match kings. The 210 Bergers would typically blow up.

Many more bullet choices these days. He built his on a McMillan 50 call action. You don't want this on a 700 action. Find a Sako or get a custom action. I think Brackney chambered it for him. Made some brass by turning the belt off 378 Wby brass.

He used a Kenny Johnson 36" barrel

I have had a Warbird since they first came out , over 25 years , mine is a custom on a remington left hand long action . I believe it was built on the ADL , with the spring cartridge feed in lieu of the removable magazine , (ADL blueprinted action ?) It was the very best , most accurate rifle I have ever owned . It was Stainless steel , McMillan hunter classic stock , Heart 5 1/2 Cryo treated 26" fluted 1-12 twist plus muzzle break . Donor was a 270 Remington , it had redundant Sako ,I think , claw extractors machined into the bolt and an Arnold Jewell trigger set at 1 pound . I still have it and just took it to Servos Gun Smith last week for a new barrel and a cheek riser install . I will not print the load but it was over 4200 at the muzzle running 130 grain old Barnes style bullets with a nickel based plating and shot them in the same hole hot or cold barrel . The new barrel will be 1-10 twist and set to run the 179 Absolute Hammers at a much reduced speed . I have 2 sets of dies ( you can order from RCBS) but I am changing to the L.E. Wilson bushing neck sizer only reloading system For my 30-06 , Patriot and Warbird . The dies were bought as blanks and the gunsmith cut them with the same reamer as he cuts the barrel . I also have the 7.82 short Lazz. Mag new barrel set up the same way except it is in a Savage action and a modified trigger set at 1 pound but is in no way comparable to a Jewell trigger with a 24" Krieger 10 twist in McMillan stock and side port break that i had throated and will be trying to load the 162 grain Absolute Hammer and will cut it back to around 3300 FPS I hope . The Remington bottom swing with spring type 700 action , I believe will give you more room to seat heavier longer ( or long for weight Monolithic bullets further out . confirm this with the more astute members on this site as they over ride everything I say . They know a lot more than I ever will I'm just a peckerwood in lower Alabama that loves very accurate rifles and shoots most every weekend . I spend my time on this site to learn from those that I trust , believe and always willing to help with out degrading anyone asking for help or advice . Good luck with your build and God Bless you Sir !

floyd

Last edited:
I built one about 10 years ago.it's absolutely lethal at extreme ranges on anything short of a t-Rex. I built mine with a stiller predator x action with a pac-nor barrel.
You can attain incredible muzzle velocities with large bullets . I can safely(no pressure signs) run 180 gr bullets upwards of 3600fps.

only complaint is brass as mentioned it's proprietary and can as far as I know only be found at lazz. Haven't bought any in a while but last purchase it ran 100.00 for 20 new empties. It's extremely cranky brass to load as it has, I'm assuming such a large case dia And small case mouth it tends to roll the shoulder/ case junction back on its self in the press making it hard to chamber.

Look for a 338 lapua bolt face. I've got a sako action on my warbird. m995 trg-s. I'm going to build another one on a terminus action waiting for bartlein barrel with their new 400modbb steel have the action already. Mcmillian lazzeroni stock triggertech trigger. Going to use the sako action to build an 33xc. Also you can use Peterson 33xc brass for the warbird as well. Neck it down and shorten it. Good luck with your build. You just need a long action with a lapua bolt face .588

Look for a 338 lapua bolt face. I've got a sako action on my warbird. m995 trg-s. I'm going to build another one on a terminus action waiting for bartlein barrel with their new 400modbb steel 1:8 twist. I have the action already. Mcmillian lazzeroni sporter stock triggertech trigger. Going to use the sako action to build an 33xc. Also you can use Peterson 33xc brass for the warbird as well. Neck it down and shorten it. Good luck with your build. You just need a long action with a lapua bolt face .588 I'm going with the 1:8 twist barrel for heavier bullets and barnes 212gr bore rider bullets. The sako has a 1:12 just doesn't shoot the heavy bullets.

Last edited:
Has anybody ever built a custom 7.82 (.308) Lazzeroni Warbird. I'm interested in this round and as a hypothetical I wanna know if someone has ever built one and how they did it, what receiver, barrel, and stock did you use? I'm aware that it isn't the best round but I'm not worried about that right now.
I had one built by McMillan Brothers years ago,26 inch bl. on a M70 action(they said they will not do that again),This was before we all went to high B.C. bullets,so was 1/12 twist for 180 grain bullets.3486 fps av. with 100 gr.R25. have gone to 3540 fps with 103 grains R25,loose primer pockets after 1st shot with the old softer brass,so backed down to 100 gr.

I had my gunsmith build one for me about 12 years ago. We used a Neseka action so that will hold up the the warbird for sure. I didnt use a muzzle brake back then and I have a permanant groove in my nose cartiledge from the scope on that thing when shooting an elk! I have since put a brake on it and its quite the pleasure to shoot now!

To the OP, If the Warbird is what you want then you gotta do it. I know I had to. I went the Sako TRGs route like a lot of guys here. I absolutely loved that rifle and it put animals down with authority. Unfortunately for me I sold mine because of the recoil. Ive had 2 shoulder surgeries though. I may do another one in a few years amd just build it heavier and get a really good brake. I sure hope you get one

I have three Lazzeroni's. I have the 7.82 as well as the 8.59 titan and 6.53 scramjet. They are a good design for sure. They are barrel burners. I'm on barrel number 3 on my scramjet and barrel 2 on my 7.82. The 8.59 in the original barrel and is still fine. The early brass is all I've owned as I bought a bunch of it when i built them. The brass is soft and doesn't last like a 308 or a 223. That is to be expected when hot rodding any cartridge.

two more things , have the smith use the titanium firing pen and heavier springs for the shortest lock time possible and spend the money for the best trigger you can get . I have sat behind most of them for hours and I am not trying to start a war , in my humble opinion for me I would take the Arnold Jewell , rifle Basix , trigger tech diamond grade in that order . JMHO , the trigger and lock time are of utmost importance .

Recent Posts