Current Savage 110 series receiver Ultra Mag control or push feed?

tim_w

I am a bit confused on this and wanted to see if I could get conformation on here before calling Savage tech directly for answers.

It seems that in some older Savages they used a control feed bolt head system. There is numerous statements on the various Savage dedicated sites that they also more currently switched to a control feed head specifically for the chamberings of: WSM RSAUM and RUM basically anything based on the ultra mag sized rebated rim cases. It seems to indicated this is a more recent change (2000-2001 ish?)

My question is are the current WSM, RSAUM short actions running the bolt head with a open bottom slot to allow for control feed and external ejector vs plunger on the push feed? But most importantly to my goals: What about the last runs of the 300 RUMS such as the 111 116 series chamberings for this round?

Is there anyone with a factory 300 RUM, 7 RUM, 338 RUM that can confirm the feed and ejector type ( push vs control)?

In case it helps to understand what my goal is:

I am wanting to pick a Savage receiver for a budget end LR hunting build based on a wild cat design off the RUM parent case it will end up as shorter OAL case length. In a ideal world I would like to use a 110 series that was factory set for the RUM if they were/are still using the control feed setup. If not then I guess it would only matter if the bottom receiver inlet opening was made larger for the RUM or LAPUA COAL cases. Ejection ports are certainly not an issue as it looks like I could throw a 4" case out of one. I am just not clear on if the inlet ports lengths varies on the LA receivers.

Not to worried about the max boxes as bottom metal and mag with be replaced to allow AICS CIP mags such as the DBM by CDi.

I just do not want to find out I could have picked up a different receiver and had control feed and a larger inlet port or end up with a receiver I not only have to swap out the head with one from PTG but that I need to milled out the inlet to length so it will clear COAL of at least 3.6". Push feed as long as its reliable for these rounds in the Savage design I can certainly live with but if I could have the control feed that would be ideal.

Once I wring this round out well I will start a full custom based build for it.

Currently the parts list for this build is :

*Receiver: 300 RUM based Savage 110 series if control feed (otherwise cheapest I can find and a PTG head swap as long as inlet OAL is the same)

*Barrel: OEM pull off rechambered to new spec (eventually swapped to a new custom barrel once dev work is finalized)

* Stock: Manners MCS T5A stock
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
*[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Bottom Metal: CD[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
DBM

* Mag: AICS CIP lapua

All Savage RUM's were CRF with a standing ejector. The first RUMS were small shank, Savage quickly switched to large shank.

Nearly all WSM's and RSAUM's are large shank. The very first few WSM's were small shank.

From the beginning, WSM's and RSAUM's were CRF with the standing ejector. When Savage switched from stagger feed to centerfeed(accutrigger, accustock, and the round rear bridge also came with this change), they went to a regular push feed bolt with the plunger ejector.

There was a transition period where there was a mix of these features, but these actions are not common.

Current actions are center feed magazines with push feed bolts, across the board.

The magazine openings are longer in the centerfeed actions as compared to an older stagger feed action. With the right magazine, it will feed nearly 4" loaded rounds.

The old RUM actions are tough to find, and had a mag opening that would only allow 3.6".

If you can pass on the CRF, any centerfeed long action will work for what you want.

Also, you might want to also check out Accurate-Mag for bottom metal. They make the bottom metal for the factory rifles with AICS magazines. PTG also make a AICS compatible bottom metal. Both of these are made for the factory bottom metal inlet. ie.- easier to fit than the CDi that needs it's own inlet.

Lastly, since you said you will be using a RUM based round, be sure to check the shoulder location. AICS magazines need to be modified to run RUM's. There is a rib in the magazine that conflicts with the RUM shoulder location.

I think I got it all. Let me know if I missed any of your Savage questions.

Geargrinder,

THANK YOU!!

You are a wealth of the exact info I was needing. No, CRF is not a deal breaker; more than anything else it was just a nice addition IF it had the other features.

So to confirm all the current centerfeed long actions have the same inlet port opening OAL (different mag box sizes but inlet port is the same) and its more than I will ever need @ around 4"? Sounds like its almost or the same size as the ejection port.

Your info on the variation between the center and staggered feeds inlet ports explains all the various numbers I was getting for specs searching thru the various forums.

So I can pick up just about any post accutrigger centerfeed long action and have no issues? Aside from a bolt head change if needed.

Thank you also for the info on the RUM case and AISC mags. I was aware of this and the need for milling the "support bar" if full size RUM cases were used. This one will have the shoulder pushed way back so I think its a moot issue for me. But below is some of the details

Currently the 300 rum has its shoulder body junction at 2.38"-2.39" range. Mine will be closer to that of of the 300 Win Mag around 2.1" so almost 0.3" of setback. This puts it just a tad shorter than the lapua for shoulder and with a diameter 0.38 smaller at the base 0.550 vs 0.589. Basically something close to a winmag but larger body diameter, 40° shoulder, less body taper (all equaling more case capacity) and longer neck(combined with shoulder angle hopefully will reduce throat erosion and the longer neck help minimally with accuracy). Case should hold around 100 gr h2O to the base of the neck. (waiting on a new version of quickload/design to get here) I have the Remington cases to experinement on and can go to Norma cases for my final ones. With a 40° shoulder and minimal case taper I am hoping for very long case life as long as I keep pressure within SAAMI spec ( I have been using RSI pressure trace for many years)

I actually had the initial rough drawings and specs for this case almost 6-7 yr ago but only now had time to move forward with it as other projects dropped off.

Rich/Elkaholic (what a great guy!!), not knowing me from a hole in the wall, spent a couple hours chatting with me over the phone and sharing his wealth of knowledge from his experience creating wildcatts cases. He gets all the credit for helping me tweak specs and arrive at these, hopefully, final dimensions. Also gave me some really time and cost saving tips on how to best form the case. He did all of this while still living out of suite cases and his world all topsy-turvy. Again a great guy and someone I can call a friend even in such a short period.

If everything goes as Rich and I think/hope I will be able to form the intial ones using nothing more than a standard RSAUM neck bushing FL sizing die such as a Redding S die, neck turning to get spec neck thickness and remove doughnut. The rest will done with a single fire forming load. That makes it a very easy wildcat to make in terms of effort for me. It is very similar is steps to Rich's Sherman cases.

To get back on track I am assuming that as the case with be dimensionally smaller in all specs it should not have an issue fitting in the mags designed for the laupa.

I plan to hopefully use the CIP mag that way I have plenty of clearance for longer COAL in case some of the newer super long VLD to be released in the near future will work if needing to go past 3.6 for ideal jump.

For me the Savage makes the perfect initial platform. It is quite accurate in terms of the action and even the factory barrel in the OEM state. I can use a factory barrel of the correct bore size and re-chamber it to do initial testing. If I booger it up there's no huge lose and can replace it and have it back on quickly.

Once I am sure everything is finalized and have decent load development I can true up and square the action, throw on a premium barrel (bartelien or broughton 5r/c are my current choices for this.) This can then become a present to my oldest daughter as she loves to hunt and punch holes in paper and explode rogue cow pies with me. I can then build a final one for me off a full custom action. Was actually thinking of having Kirby put one together for me on one his actions.

With the ability to quickly change barrels and adjust headspacing swap out bolt heads, the savage, IMHO, makes just about the perfect test platform action

Anyways that's the plan.

I will also take a look at the Accurate-Mag DBM as if I find a donor one with a accustock that would save me some coin.

Yes, all of the long action centerfeed actions have the same size magazine openings.

Should be plenty long for what you are planning.

Skip the accustock. If is just one of their plastic stocks with an aluminum spine and bedding block. They also require a special recoil lug. It is shorter than a normal lug.

For stocks, I'd go with a Manners or McMillan on the high end. B&C and Stockade on the high quality budget end. Boyd's sells a very nice laminate in a long range friendly shape much like an A5 style. It's called the Pro-Varmint, used to be called Tacticool.

Here's one on my long range 7RM build.

All Savage RUM's were CRF with a standing ejector. The first RUMS were small shank, Savage quickly switched to large shank.

This is untrue.

I own a factory 116 in .300 RUM that is very much push feed with an M16 style ejector. Not positive about the shank size.

I should not have said all.

The vast vast majority were CRF with a standing ejector.

If you find a RUM action it will very likely be CRF with a standing ejector.

Sorry for the confusion.

Very nice. I think I may have a line on a 7RM for $300 only fired once that will be my donor rifle. I can use the barrel for initial testing. Was planning on a Manners T5 but for this I may step down a notch and go with that boyds.

I can not recall if it has a Accustock but I would just sell that as I not a be fan of them not even ever been happy with the higher end versions such as the HS. But if I have to replace the lug thats not the end of the world.

I have to admit for $100 that Boyd Pro Varmint is quite nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.