Current production 22 revolver’s

I think, the internal workings of double action revolvers are terribly complex & delicate - many tiny springs, pins, sliding parts, cams & levers. In addition, heavy double action trigger pulls, barrel cylinder gap flash, & bullet/powder deposits on cylinder face. Terms like "end shake" & "timing" give thought to reliable functioning.

Wifey just got a S&W M63 & we sent it back to S&W for warranty work as it was extremely difficult to cock for single action use. Examination under 10X showed extractor star to be chewed up by hand - timing problem? I have had several S&W revolvers & this is the first one that has had problems.

Way back then, I had one of the first 3 screw Ruger single sixes. Fixed sights & I remember shooting up coffee cans at 100 yards with it, using my young eyes, gun on sandbag. Just remember to have an empty chamber under the hammer when carrying.

My favorite .22 handgun is a Ruger MKIV fitted with a pic rail, - sight options are - Burris 2X in Burris quick detachable rings, open sights, and Vortex 6 MOA Venom reflex. No need to remove open sights for other sight use. Easy to clean. I shoot CCI Blazers. The only problem being it will not cycle with some lower power standard velocity ammo. Good for 50-yard clays with olde eyes, gun on sandbag.

Last edited:
This weekend I will be attending a local gun show and after some recommendations here and a little online searching I think I have it narrowed down.
S&W 617, Ruger single six
I plan on putting my hands on a couple of the semi auto's that have been mentioned.
Browning buckmark, S&W victory, Ruger and I may just go with a semi auto.
If I can't find anything the auction that @Teri Anne mentioned will get a look.

This my S&W Model 017, has adj. sights . Pistol is very accurate at out to 50 yards

Attachments

• DSC_4258.JPG
    DSC_4258.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Kind of off topic, but have you thought about any semiautos?
I have a PMR30 thats a hoot to shoot but feels like a toy. Been thinking about a Walther WMP, too.
There is a lot of bad comment about the PMR 30 on u tube. I have a new one, it has had zero FTF or FTE with CCI Maxi mag, what's recommended and with Federal Champion, both 40 grain, in 150 rounds + of shooting. I love mine !

There is a lot of bad comment about the PMR 30 on u tube. I have a new one, it has had zero FTF or FTE with CCI Maxi mag, what's recommended and with Federal Champion, both 40 grain, in 150 rounds + of shooting. I love mine !
I love mine, too, but kind of concerned about its long term durability. With so much plastic, I have a hard time believing in 20-30 years it'll still be safe to shoot.

I have nothing good to say about both samples of mine except its a great idea, poorly executed. Granted my issues were closer to 750 -1000rounds.

Yep, whoever built those PMR 30's , the only thing they took from the Colt Woodsman Match Target was the semi-auto part.

I bought the Taurus 922 and really like it. Blue 6" barrel in 9 shot 22/22mag. ONE button changes cylinders. Plenty of accuracy. The original hammer spring was too stiff so I got a lighter one and it is much better - no misfires. Lots of .22 for the money.

And therein lies my fear.
Unfortunately, its' replacment- the Walther- got shot down too.
😖😖😖

I had high hopes for the walther. Might even re visit it in the future, it's not even fully a year old. Maybe they will figure it out.

This should be Keltec's motto lol.

Red green quote.

"Good idea poorly executed... so poorly executed someone ought to be poorly executed."

I've often wished that they were the r and d of a big company that could qc and refine the ideas. When the lcp came out there was a lot of squak about it knocking off kel tec innovation. In some extent it did, except my lcp eats up 380 without a hiccup... something the kel tec it copied never did.

Love the ideas of the ksg, ks7, cmr and pmr, even the bull pups are super neat ideas. Just never loved owning them.

Red green quote.

"Good idea poorly executed... so poorly executed someone ought to be poorly executed."

I've often wished that they were the r and d of a big company that could qc and refine the ideas. When the lcp came out there was a lot of squak about it knocking off kel tec innovation. In some extent it did, except my lcp eats up 380 without a hiccup... something the kel tec it copied never did.

Love the ideas of the ksg, ks7, cmr and pmr, even the bull pups are super neat ideas. Just never loved owning them.

I feel similarly. I truly don't harbor any ill will towards Kel-tec (which I can't say of all companies...looking at you Steiner). I will give them credit for continuing to be innovative, even if they are creating the guns that no one has really asked for. I did buy a KSG at one point and to be honest it shot fine for me other than ejecting shells into my forearm. It was cool, but the build quality did leave a lot to be desired and I ended up selling it an buying a more traditional shotgun. Ultimately when it comes to my hard earned money, I tend to go with something I know is quality and reliable. Kel-tec, while cool, just doesn't meet that criteria.

As penance for creating thread drift, I called a friend in ranch country with a gun shop who always moved decent revolver numbers.

Said his last price for a 617 was near 900 and he only got the 6 inch in very limiter number in the last 6 months. Gp 100 was one of his consistent arrivals but even then they were over 800 but not by tons. Said that it had still been a few months since his last batch, but in his estimation ruger was most likely to get product out. Albeit he was waiting a while on a single ten for a customer, it would be under 800.

After that he said you pretty much are stuck with Taurus or the budget revolvers, Said ruger must have the capability to make a billion of the wrangler series as they out ran even the height of the panic.

His shop does decent numbers, I'd say his prices are usually just a tad under sportsmans (his closest big box store) so not exactly online store prices but not crazy either. Recommendation was hit up second hand locations, used prices have finally gone below new after the last 3 years of insanity. It's fairly unlikely you'll get a gp100 617 or single ten that's been worn out from use, but it's your best bet for under 800.