Curious question

What % capacity gain is necessary to be "worth doing"?
That's the million dollar question isn't it? Based on some custom cartridge designs and wildcats I've seen paraded around as the best thing since sliced bread id have to say anything over 0.5 grains improvement is worth it to some die hard experiments haha

The end-user must decide if their time and effort are worth their investment. For all of mine, yes, esp. the learning process. I learned quite a bit on my .30 Gibbs.

.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

To me any gain is worth it. And especially all the learning that I am excited about. 50-100 fps is worth it because it is better performance. I know I could accomplish this by purchasing a different caliber 30 Cal, I honestly just want to do it based on a 300 WBY!

Are you referring to my .338 Thor? Please be specific so I do not misconstrue your question. If you are referring to my .338 Thor, yes, the neck will be shorter, as will the OAL because it is by design (spec reamer). If you refer to the picture in #6, yes, because you remove the WBY double radius. Below is a .270 Win and .270 AI.

View attachment 557808
The neck is longer because the shoulder junction is shortened - changed in datum reference. This will create a tight-fit chambering when you load a .270 Win to a rifle chambered for .270 AI - shoot it fire-form - and you're done. Hope this helps
All of it? I guess. So for me because I am getting rid of the double radius shoulder the neck will decrease and the 40 degree shoulder by reamer design will increase case capacity? Correct?

Okay, so I have ordered a Brux 31 inch .308 standard Palma contour 1-9 twist. However I am a year out after my phone call to Brux, but it's ordered. So in the meantime I will get my reamer and use my current factory barrel for my 300wby improved. We will see 🤞🤷‍♂️

Darrin

Okay, so I have ordered a Brux 31 inch .308 standard Palma contour 1-9 twist. However I am a year out after my phone call to Brux, but it's ordered. So in the meantime I will get my reamer and use my current factory barrel for my 300wby improved. We will see 🤞🤷‍♂️

Darrin
Love to hear how this evolves. Please keep us posted!

Darrin
WOW, that's a long wait. For your consideration, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-bartlein-blank-ss.355689/

What are your plans for dies?

If PT&G is building your reamer, you might also consider a sizing reamer and have a competent/reputable gunsmith build your dies from blank dies. Make sure the sizing die is hardened. This will save you a few bucks and waiting time (~4 months) ordering custom reloading and hydraulic forming dies (if desired) for your custom-built rifle.

WOW, that's a long wait. For your consideration, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-bartlein-blank-ss.355689/

What are your plans for dies?

If PT&G is building your reamer, you might also consider a sizing reamer and have a competent/reputable gunsmith build your dies from blank dies. Make sure the sizing die is hardened. This will save you a few bucks and waiting time (~4 months) ordering custom reloading and hydraulic forming dies (if desired) for your custom-built rifle.
That is a great idea. I know they sell blanks. Should I be concerned with PTG quality control?