Curious question

darrindlh

Would creating a 40 degree shoulder and blowing out case taper on my 300 weatherby improve on performance? Even 100-150fps?

Darrin

Last edited:
While I'm uncertain, without blowing out case taper, I don't think simply changing from the radiused shoulder to an "improved" shoulder would gain you enough case capacity to gain that much speed. That is a significant gain.

Some cartridges gain that much by "AI-ing", but not all. Most add more freebore in the AI process and remove case taper, increasing case capacity in multiple areas. Weatherby already has a lot of freebore and about .020" body taper. The steeper shoulders also help with case stretch, but tend to "hide" pressure.

Do as you wish, there is no wrong thing to do, just know that you may or may not get the desired velocity gain. Let us know what you decide.

While I'm uncertain, without blowing out case taper, I don't think simply changing from the radiused shoulder to an "improved" shoulder would gain you enough case capacity to gain that much speed. That is a significant gain.

Some cartridges gain that much by "AI-ing", but not all. Most add more freebore in the AI process and remove case taper, increasing case capacity in multiple areas. Weatherby already has a lot of freebore and about .020" body taper. The steeper shoulders also help with case stretch, but tend to "hide" pressure.

Do as you wish, there is no wrong thing to do, just know that you may or may not get the desired velocity gain. Let us know what you decide.
Oh yes gotcha , i would blow out case taper as well. I just think there is so much neck space on the case that I could increase volume.
Darrin

No need to try to rework the Weatherby, what you want is already available - the 300 RUM. 110.2gns og H2O capacity vs the 300 Wby at 100.4gns.

No sure what your plans for process was, but a rebarrel to 300 RUM plus dies is almost certainly cheaper than getting a custom reamer made based on the Wby, trying to punch it out, getting dies etc, and at the end of the day still having a factory barrel on the rifle.

I agree with ya'll 100%. But I just wonder how much case capacity it would have. Blown out 40 degree on left, normal 300 weatherby on right.

Darrin

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 62
Probably still less than the RUM because of the belt and resulting narrower case walls. Seems like it's basically a Gibbs treatment (short neck and steep shoulders) just on a 375 H&H case. So functionally analogous to a 300 Win Mag Improved.

If you have the case mocked up, what does it hold in terms of water weight?

Probably still less than the RUM because of the belt and resulting narrower case walls. Seems like it's basically a Gibbs treatment (short neck and steep shoulders) just on a 375 H&H case. So functionally analogous to a 300 Win Mag Improved.

If you have the case mocked up, what does it hold in terms of water weight?
I was able to hold 106 grns of h20 in my 300 weatherby improved case. My original 300 weatherby held 100 grns of h20. This is way more case capacity than a 300 win mag. Waiting for dies to be made.

Darrin

Would creating a 40 degree shoulder and blowing out case taper on my 300 weatherby improve on performance? Even 100-150fps?

Darrin

Just my opinion for what it's worth…..No! Certainly not enough to justify the expense!

Though, judging from your photograph…..ya just might get some significant gains! memtb

Still less than the RUM
i agree with you. The rum is an amazing round! I just have never wanted to own one.
Just my opinion for what it's worth…..No! Certainly not enough to justify the expense!

Though, judging from your photograph…..ya just might get some significant gains! memtb
It will be interesting to see. The weatherby necks are so long and have so much space.

Darrin

i agree with you. The rum is an amazing round! I just have never wanted to own one.

It will be interesting to see. The weatherby necks are so long and have so much space.

Darrin
I like the long weatherby necks! When you're running the kind of freebore they are, I think the long neck helps ensure concentricity before the ogive hits the lands.