CPW Redefines Sharpshooter in Elk Reduction

Sounds like the "master hunter" classification here in Washington state. It's basically a good old boys club where they do some class work, community service and what not and get called for after season damage hunts of antlerless deer and elk in farmers fields and the local golf course. Allows them to get multiple elk in season too. A Co worker is one such "master" hunter but he hasn't gotten a deer or elk yet this year and season is about over. Neither have I but he's been on vacation the whole season while I've been working.

Just saw this elsewhere and stunned by it.

The "qualifications for "sharpshooter" are:
Those who advance through the application process then must complete a shooting qualification hitting small targets the size of an elk's vitals at 200 and 300 yards. Those attending the qualifying shoot must hit each target three times in a row without a miss within a three minute time period.

"This qualification has proven to be difficult for even the most seasoned elk hunters," said CPW Area Wildlife Manager Rick Basagoitia. "This standard is likely the minimum allowable standard given the difficulty of the work we need volunteers to do."

Are freaking serious? Sharpshooter is considered if you can hit a so called SMALL TARGET 12" pie plate eg size of elk vitals at 200 and 300 yards? This is what CO considers as "sharpshooter"?

So hold off those LR or ELR builds if you want to be a CO Sharpshooter. No mention of minimal cartridge etc which is crazy as well.

I dunno, maybe me.
Yup....probably you! How do you know what size a VITAL they are talking about anyway? Might not be disclosed till shooting time! And let me tell you... it might only be a 2 1/4" target as a " Testicle " to a Bull Elk....is pretty VITAL! ( and to me too!)

Four out of 25 qualified is disgusting. My 74 year experience is that the majority of hunters turn my stomach with their lack of shooting ability be it pheasants, ducks, deer, elk, etc. I think this basic qualification should be mandatory to get a hunting license every year. Also a coarse that forces the applicant to look past your target to see what is standing there and an animal identification course of different species (mule vs whitetail, etc) and point sizes. Most hunters never fire a round until shooting at an animal because ammo costs too much, don't have time, don't have a place to practice, etc., add the excuse you've heard.

Last edited:
Here in the UK we have a voluntary deer hunter qualification that more and more landowners etc are demanding that hunters undergo before allowing them loose on the deer. https://www.dmq.org.uk/dsc1/#toggle-id-2 is the link. This course covers many of the points that have been raised in the responses to the OP.
There is also a mandatory minimum rifle caliber for all the native species which based on factory ammo figures and is basically a 6mm (243) sized rifle shooting 100 grn expanding bullets with a minimum muzzle energy of 1750 ft.lbs iirc.
Chinese water deer and Muntjac deer (both of which are invasive species)can be shot with a 223 caliber rifle with a minimum muzzle energy of 1000 ft.lbs iirc. and in Scotland a 223 can also be used for Roe deer.
Scotland also demands a minimum muzzle velocity of 2450 fps, link is https://bestpracticeguides.org.uk/firearms/rifles-ammunition/. Basically this rules out many fine calibers, eg 45/70, 450/577, 600 nitro express also many of the African DG calibers etc I believe the 30/30 just sneaks in with 130 grain factory ammo.
Because of the minimum energy requirements more landowners are mandating factory ammo only and also mono bullets to minimise both environmental damage and meat pollution.
On the face of it the UK test isn't difficult BUT performing it with the rest of your course mates looking on isn't too helpful.
FWIW, the minimum caliber recommended for wild/feral boar is 270 Win.

Recent Posts