Coyote hunting tips

Isn't it funny that what geo4061 experienced is something that we all see, if you play the calling game long enough.

If a guy hunts the same land year in year out, there's always those stands where a guy sits in the same spot and the coyotes come from the same direction every time. Like clock work.
But then again, I have had those same scenarios get blown all ta holy heck when the coyotes switch up their approach and catch a guy with his pants down. They'll keep ya on your toes some times.

D thanks for the thumbs up. I will definitely share more hunts, however, let's hear from others. It does not matter whether you were successful or not. We can learn from them all, so please share.

That is why I liked watching the TV show Carnivore. Gary, the host, was the best at getting inside the coyotes head and then relating their feelings to us. Check your program and check his show out.

Congrats to my brother. He just graduated Magna Cum Laude from the college of coyote hunting. He has been trying for years to put one down with bow and arrow. Here is how he made it work. He picked out one of the thickest oak and cedar thickets on his place with the oldest and most mature trees. Inside these thickets are some well used trails. All animals use these trails. It is just too tough to fight the briars and thick under growth. Some can be worn six inches deep. He long ago identified two thickets with these trails. He cleared out the back side just enough for him to get in and out and climb his stand twelve feet up. Having two allowed him to hunt no matter the wind. At such close quarters every sound and movement is amplified. He even took the time to clear leaves and sticks from his trail in. This morning he beat the sun up. This was no problem for him he knew the trail by heart. He sat there just enjoying life. What a beautiful morning. No wind so he decided to call softly. The sun just broke as he let out a yep, yelp, yelp. It wasn't very long this coyote came sneaking in. My brother was ready and sealed the deal.
IMG_4592(1).JPG

I'm impressed that's a good hunt He went to great lengths and it worked for him . It looks to be a female from what I can see .

Hey guys I am fairly new to coyote hunting and new to this site. I am shooting a rem 700sps varmit in .243 1:9 with a 26"barrel. I currently load a 75 gr v-max and they make a hole that could sink a ship in no time. I am looking for a bullet that won"t make a mess. I live in north west North Dakota so the wind can get heavy. Any advice is much appreciated

I feel that the main thing about keeping the pelts in tact is keeping off major bones (shoulder, spine, breast) with your placement.

For your .243, you may consider shooting the 55 NBT, run it at top end and keep off major bones and generally you won't have a hole you could pull a cat thru...:)

Someone mentioned bringing along a little Dude, absolutely! Keep the proper attitude about it and enjoy the time with them. If they spook a dog no bigga deal.

Lastly, when I get into the position I'm going to call from I spend a minute or so ranging spots where I feel that they're most likely to show up in. That way, when they do show I don't have to range, I just go to memory (it usually works) I just go to my gun.

And one more thing, someone mentioned keep at it, I concur as I've gone as many as 13 sets in a day without any dogs coming in and then all of a sudden here they come:)

I like a chest shot myself . if they are standing facing me centered in the chest if they are broad side to me or quartering then centered up and down but behind the front leg . I like to use a 55 gr. Sierra H.P.BT. running between 2900 and 3000 fps mv out of my 223 . They seem to come apart and shed all of their energy in the coyote , with fox and bobcats some copper will come out the off side but normally no big holes it sew up .