Coyote hunting tips

So then you get one every two or three years and you get to watch them for hours . I bet you've seen them do a lot of things most people never will by doing that . When I was younger I spent hours doing just that . I learned a bunch from them by doing just that then I would thank God and them for the lesson before I shot them . Even a one year old child has some thing to teach us .

Good call Geo---years ago one of my predator calling mentors told me (he was a retired Govt Pred control guy) that when a yote gets to 800 yards that he has where the sound is coming from pin pointed to 15'.

Once the dog breaks a quarter mile, he's go you to 3-4'.............

Yikes that's some skills

(also part of the reason I range several spots before I start calling, points where I feel they'll most likely use coming in, that was I don't have to range them when they're coming in)

And that is one of the main reasons you set up lower then the ridge line , in the shade if you can , beside a rock or some brush also . Have your gun at or near the ready position . Un like human ears theirs are on top of their heads and move in different directions to locate where sounds come from like radar . Their eyes are also set up to see more efficiently then humans being more to the side and higher up on the head so they have more peripheral vision then we do . Being hunters they are well attuned to any sound or movement in their area . There are a lot of good statements made in this post and several that have been stated in varying wordings more then once one could do themselves a favor by rereading some of these posts more then one time from the beginning as there is so much information to digest in so many of these posts !

Happy New Year to you all.
My most important tip is sit in the shade if possible.
I generally scan with binoculars after sitting down; resulting in seeing coyotes nearby and adjusting volume to not scare them into the next county.
I sit longer than lots of you guys, but I call some big country with long views. It takes a while for them to travel to the sound.

This thread, linked below, has 65 pages of stories with lots of great info from some very knowledgeable hunters, including some who have posted here.

It is a great read👍

I don't get to go callin' as much as I would like. When I do get to go I try to do everything as perfect as possible. I have been watching the TV coyote shows and the hosts have been wearing reflective lens sunglasses. I didn't know that the coyote seeing his reflection would add to your success.

I don't get to go callin' as much as I would like. When I do get to go I try to do everything as perfect as possible. I have been watching the TV coyote shows and the hosts have been wearing reflective lens sunglasses. I didn't know that the coyote seeing his reflection would add to your success.
That crap is all edited afterwords, they aint wearing them while there hunting I'd bet money, they also don't tell you they been at it for two weeks to get a half an hour show

I don't care much for the shows of coyote calling for the most part except as entertainment . Most that I've seen or heard say 15 to 20 min . stands and that's true enough for their style of calling and what they are wanting to do . Calling for fur or to make a living at control work is a whole different ball game . If you are on a budget and need to make your hobby at least pay the gas and maybe some ammo then you will need to spend more time at the stand looking then calling as well as finding some good study material on the coyote behavior . It's been a lot of years ago but Collage Station Texas , Southern California Agriculture Dept. , The U.S. D.A . had a lot of study materials from the studies that they did and do on the coyote and it's control . Try your best to know your adversary or opponent how ever you want to look at them . The best of luck to you all that want to be a hunter of the coyote , over the years they have fooled me more then once , made me feel not very smart and taught me more then I could ever pass on to others study them and they will reward you with knowledge of great value if you chose to learn from them and enjoy the hunt for them .

DSheetz please expand on your above post. Calling for fur is a whole different game? Also you said you took the time to teach your kids to hunt. Please give us some tips or touch on mistakes you see us all make. Thanks