Coyote hunting tips

One thing that will quickly get you busted. Not camoing your face. Take the time to cover or paint your hands and face. Help all of us. What other things are quick to get you busted?

The bottoms of your boots. When you sit down and reveal the bottoms of your feet, it stands out pretty far away. I always sit with my knees up.

-> #1 on covering your face. I use either camo make-up or a stretchy head cover.

-> If your boot soles are black, brown or dark green you're OK unless you have that nice yellow Vibram logo in the arch. In that case use black permanent marker to cover it and check it often for wear and re-coat.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Skinning (again)-- last season went out with a buddy and killed 2 coyotes 1/2 mile or so from the nearest fence post. I said "screw it, I'm too old to carry 2 dogs 1/2 mile each to a fencepost, I'm skinning 'em from the ground". Darned if it didn't work--just takes about twice as long to accomplish. Carry a short rope with you so you can tie it to their leg tendons and flip it over a big bush so you have something to pull against. Interestingly my buddy walked maybe 500 yds. away from me whilst I was skinning and called in a 3rd and popped it--normally I'd be grimacing thinking I'd have to carry it--but not anymore--yippee.

Consider that I am really only a marginal coyote hunter but I can offer this much advise. You'll get out of it what you paid for it.

1. In CO the best coyote hunting for me has been from Nov to the end of March.

2. Avoid big game hunting areas during big game seasons.

3. Find a mentor or friend who has some experiense.

4. I would suggest starting out with simple mouth calls like rabbit in distress.

5. If you are looking for nice pelts summer is a poor time to go.

6. I have only hunted coyotes in the summer at night, private land, with lights over bait.

7. Best places in CO to hunt coyotes for me has been the eastern half, but I know the eastern half much better.

Stuff your camo hunting gear and extras into a plastic tub with branchs,,, dirt,,, weeds,,, and willow...

Even if it removes 1/2 of the human sent,,, the Coyotes will have to come in closer to pick you up...

This works for Wolves and Cats as well as all furry critters in the wilds...

Remember,,, us humans stink,,, its a dead give away if critters have had an encounter with humans before...

It was most likely not a friendly encounter either...

Cheers from the North

IMG_6614.JPG
It is the toughest of time for the coyote and the coyote hunter. The woods have been filled with hunters that would not pass a shot at a coyote. The last two coyotes I shot were both wounded. The first was shot in the hip. He was making a living eating corn under a deer feeder because he could not run and catch preferred protein. The second was hobbling around on two legs. I guess the other two legs were lost to snares. He was wobbling around but still managed to come to the call. The coyote hunter finds it tough because the uneducated are no longer around. The coyote has heard it all and no longer comes barreling into your set. He has lots on his mind. Finding and keeping a territory and finding a mate. He has become very cautious and may respond better to other sounds since food isn't the main thing on his mind. Now is the time to shake things up. Try new things.

Any call that produces a baby cottontail should be good to go.
Electronic would be the lucky duck brand.
Lip squeak off of the back of the hand is the all carry call I use. Keep watching the down wind.

What's new? Burnham Brothers are working on new sounds that the coyote can hear but we can't. Their thinking is that they should be very effective on high pressured coyotes. If I were in the market for an electronic call I would check these out as soon as they are available.

Recent Posts