Coyote hunting tips

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by geo4061, Aug 9, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. stx

stx Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Good thread!

2. geo4061

geo4061 Well-Known Member

Thanks stx. Together we all become better hunters. Every time we go out successful or not we get a lesson. Please share what you learn with us, even if it is just a reminder. Thanks.

stx likes this.
  3. stx

stx Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I've never been a coyote hunter, per say.....just starting to call in the last few years. But I've killed HUNDREDS of them over my lifetime. I spent most of my life on the family ranch and the last 30+ years on large ranches managing my hunting business, www.brushcountryhunts.com .......so I've seen and killed my fair share of dogs! I had a young man that worked for me on the ranch back in the 70s that trapped them and he'd always take all that I shot for the hides. One season I shot and gave him over 100 coyotes! These days, I probably kill 15-20 every hunting season and sometimes more. I'm looking forward to learning more about calling them!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  4. geo4061

Come on gentlemen give us some tips, mistakes, or stories. Thanks.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    stx likes this.
  5. geo4061

"Coyote hunting is not rocket science it's woodsman ship," Steve Crinner (The Dog Soldier). So do not over think it. Just get out, give it your best effort and keep trying.

stx likes this.
  6. geo4061

Someone ask "What is your favorite sound?" It reminded me of my first Burnham Brothers electronic call and the rabbit in distress cassette. Just push the play button and let her rip. The first evening out I called in a fox. Loved it. We've come a long way. Now our callers have hundreds of sounds. To make the most out of your sets have three or four different sounds in mind before you set up. Here is an out line I use to pick sounds. Sound 1- Coyote female howl,yips. Sound 2- Distress. Sound 3- Fight. Sound 4- pup, baby distress. I drop sound 1 when fox or cat hunting. I sometimes try a couple of distress sounds. Perhaps a rabbit and then a bird. Mix it up and have some fun.