Coyote hunting tips

I saw my first set of twins today. The proud mom was showin' out. Spots shinning in the morning sun. The young were getting their first look at the big wide open world. It's time to break out all those young in distress calls. With all those babies running around your odds have greatly increased when using pup distress, turkey distress, fawn distress, and any other young distress sound.
You asked me "HOW I HUNT PENNSULVANIA YOTES". Here it is, I first started a few years back when the owner of my Prized Long Range Ground Hog Honey Hole told me the Coyotes were Terrorizing his young Calfs, Chickens, Seep and Lambs. He also said they were killing quite a few of the Barn Cats. This he didn't mind, as he's asked me to kill any I see stalking his fields while Hog Bangin. So I borrowed a critter call, set up a blind, got a chicken from him, packed a cooler and Went to Work! I HEARD EM the 1st night but I couldn't ever SEE EM. Hmmm I thought. I procured some Road Kill on the way the next trip. HEARD EM AGAIN! RAISING all kinds of hell throughout the night; still NO SIGHTING! Hmmm. So I started LQQKIN Online for suggestions. Everyone told me how LEARY & CRAFTY Yotes are, so I packed up my Blind and moved it to 600 yards from where I placed the Road Kill and hung the Chicken in a tree. That evening as soon as I got in the Blind & started the call, here they come a running. Its amazing what a lil DISTANCE WILL DO! I took 2 outta a pack of 5. Next night I dropped another. The first Yote I got this year, 2019; I employed all the same tactics, only I was 300 yards out, smaller farm in Plum Boro, PA. I had left the Road Kill out in the field from the prior weekend hunt. Was chewed on, and 2 of the Possums were torn to pieces. I started calling at Midnight. I heard responses immediately! But NO SIGHTINGS! I was prepared to spend the night, and that's what I did. At 5am here they come skipping n tippin outta the woodbine. There were 5. I took the BIGGEST! Weighed 41.6 lbs., before I skinned him out. I took the carcass back to the farm and layed him with the road kill from the previous week, what was left of it. I had the Chicken for Sunday dinner, yesterday! Tonight I'm going back out for the rest of the pack! I had an AWESOME TIME! Saturday night the Moon was **** near Full, there was just a steady, gentle breeze, didn't even use the lights when I took the shot! 227 yards right BETWEEN the EYES when the ALPHA stared right at me as he stopped for a SPLIT SECOND! That's all I needed, I've learned that you have to be ALERT and READY as YOTES DO NOT give a man much time or a second d chance at em! NEEDLESS TO SAY, IM HOOKED!
Theosmithjr

Theo you have this coyote hunting figured out. Definitely smarter than the average bear. Great planning, set up, and execution. Wish I had your patience.
Thanks Geo. I've always been a SERIOUS GROUNDHOG HINTER, last few years I been a serious deer hunter too; but I just get so **** BORED in the winter after deer season is over I had to find something to Shoot besides Paper & Metal. COYOTES filled the slot PERFECTLY!
Theosmithjr

Last edited:
Pay special attention to trails. Whether they are deer, rabbit, or even an old ranch road these trails will add success to your sets. Coyotes use these trails. When you hit the music they will often use them as an expressway to their next meal be ready.

Pay special attention to trails. Whether they are deer, rabbit, or even an old ranch road these trails will add success to your sets. Coyotes use these trails. When you hit the music they will often use them as an expressway to their next meal be ready.
I've noticed this already! Thanks Friend
Theosmithjr

I recently met a taxidermist that had just finished second in a very competitive and large varmint hunting contest. I ask him for a few of his tips. You should have seen the look on his face. I probably could have had a better chance asking for money. Anyway, I persisted and ask what is the biggest mistake callers make. He said," Playing their sounds too loud."

Last edited:
I recently met a taxidermist that had just finished second in a very competitive and large varmint hunting contest. I ask him for a few of his tips. You should have seen the look on his face. I probably could have had a better chance asking for money. Anyway, I persisted and ask what is the biggest mistake callers make. He said," Playing their sounds too loud."

That's hilarious.... both the fact he didn't want to share info and that calling too loud was the biggest mistake callers make.

Just got through watching the TV show Coyote Country. He said it had been over THIRTY sets since they had called in a coyote. On today's show they broke that streak. WOW. Now that is a lesson in persistence. Those of you that are new to varmint calling keep the faith and try to learn from every set. You will be successful.

I myself am HOOKED! I'll NEVER give up! I might get frustrated, but I'll never QUIT!
I collect ROAD KILL and all the Groundhogs I've killed so far this year and use em for STINK BAIT! It works when all else fails!
Theosmithjr

The gentlemen that do TV have a hard time too. I posted about the one that made thirty sets without a coyote. On another show that gentleman called in eighteen coyotes before he got one on the ground. These guys are really good hunters. Perhaps we sell the coyote short. He just might be the ultimate challenge.

Last edited:
IMG_6607.JPG
Two things that will tilt the scale in your favor is the use of a thermal scope and a suppressor. Not much has been said about these game changers. The thermal opens up the night, you become a leader in their world. The suppressor gives you a second chance. It does not set off an immediate alarm. Like shooting without one.

View attachment 130996 Two things that will tilt the scale in your favor is the use of a thermal scope and a suppressor. Not much has been said about these game changers. The thermal opens up the night, you become a leader in their world. The suppressor gives you a second chance. It does not set off an immediate alarm. Like shooting without one.
Geo I was out reconing Yotes on NEW HUNTING ground here in PA. A friend I went to school with 50 years ago owns the land. I heard of a tract of land known as COYOTE CANYON, to my delight it's a friends property. He clued me IN as to where they are, and Exactly where they den. I setup my blind 600 yards across the ridge from the canyon they rule; I observed a pack of 15 adults. 4 of the bitches have pups that appear to be 4 or 5 weeks old. I controlled myself, and took NO SHOTS! YES it was one of the hardest temptations I've ever encountered. I wanna wait and let the pups get weaned and grow a bit, then its LIGHTS OUT for MAMA n PAPA YOTE! This will ensure many successful hunts for me in the coming months. Also I don't want to disrupt the Natural GIFT from the YOTE GODS that were bestowed upon me. I plan on waiting for winter months to do mosta my killing of the pack, when the pelts are prime. But I'll cull the pack of a few each night out. I'll post photos of my conquests starting in 4 or 5 weeks.
Theosmithjr

Last edited: